Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1995 saturn sl1 wheel cylinder leaking abs system?

1995 saturn sl1 wheel cylinder leaking abs system?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1995 saturn sl1 wheel cylinder leaking abs system?

• Creator
    Topic
    AlexAlex
    Participant

Car is 1995 saturn sl1 Gm Car has abs
      Can I just bleed the bleed screw on the wheel cylinder after I replace it? Or do I need to bleed the modulator to get it into home position. Wont it be in home position if I never turned the key should the brakes bleed fine at the wheel? Alot confustion about this vehicle. I went online some say that you can bleed some abs normally without having to bleed the bleed screws at the modulator? Before goin to the rear brakes? Can I just bleed off the wheel cylinder bleed screw and be done or is this abs more involved . Can I bleed this car if its been off overnight normally?

hat are the steps of bleeding this system after replacing a wheel cylinder?
      Should I go ahead replace bleed at the cylinder

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If you replaced the wheel cylinder without draining the system the wheel cylinder
        bleed screw should do.

AlexAlex
        Participant

Do I have to bleed the modulator on 1995 abs to home the piston before I can bleed the rear brakes?

zerozero
          Participant

Unless the ABS modulator was emptied of fluid, or close to, you should be fine.

You can always conventionally bleed the brakes and if there’s still a spongy feel but no air was coming out anymore, go to a local gravel parking lot and create a few ABS braking events. Then go home and rebleed the brakes. Repeat until there is no spongy feel left.

AlexAlex
            Participant

Does anyone have any input on bleeding this vehicle What are the steps on the DELPHI VI How to bleed it ?

Attachments:
              AlexAlex
              Participant

[quote=”DaFirnz” post=180688]Unless the ABS modulator was emptied of fluid, or close to, you should be fine.

You can always conventionally bleed the brakes and if there’s still a spongy feel but no air was coming out anymore, go to a local gravel parking lot and create a few ABS braking events. Then go home and rebleed the brakes. Repeat until there is no spongy feel left.[/quote]
                Unable to bleed brake from left rear wheel hub/?????????????????????????Help ??

Unable to bleed brake after replacing a wheel cylinder on left rear wheel hub. I was told by numbers forum post that this should of been cut and dry. Was tolld bleeding procedure was to bleed the part once it was installed . After first initial attempt while having a 10mm over the bleeder screw and bleeder hose attached to a bottle Following the autozone bleed procedure for wheel cylinder replacement with a one man bleeder..These steps on replacing wheel cylinder in this video of a napa tech—> https://youtu.be/t8prHUJBHG0 And using this tech advice on bleeding with bleeder bottle —->https://youtu.be/lkd7iq-dIQ0

I tried these steps on replacing the parts listed in video 1 and did video 2 for bleed procedure.

But I still have no fluid released from rear wheel cylinder.

tech 1 in video one quoted saying to me in his response to my question Yes it will be the same procedure.
                Car is 1995 sl1 abs delphi vi

AlexAlex
                Participant

[quote=”college man” post=180679]If you replaced the wheel cylinder without draining the system the wheel cylinder
                  bleed screw should do.[/quote]Unable to bleed brake from left rear wheel hub/?????????????????????????Help ??

Unable to bleed brake after replacing a wheel cylinder on left rear wheel hub. I was told by numbers forum post that this should of been cut and dry. Was tolld bleeding procedure was to bleed the part once it was installed . After first initial attempt while having a 10mm over the bleeder screw and bleeder hose attached to a bottle Following the autozone bleed procedure for wheel cylinder replacement with a one man bleeder..These steps on replacing wheel cylinder in this video of a napa tech—> https://youtu.be/t8prHUJBHG0 And using this tech advice on bleeding with bleeder bottle —->https://youtu.be/lkd7iq-dIQ0

I tried these steps on replacing the parts listed in video 1 and did video 2 for bleed procedure.

tech 1 in video one quoted saying to me in his response to my question Yes it will be the same procedure.

Dave ReuterMechmann
                  Participant

Assuming you have no ABS fault light on (amber light), you should be able to bleed the rear brakes. The modulator should be in the home position automatically that will allow bleeding. Are you pressurizing the master cylinder or pumping the brake pedal to force fluid out the rear brake cylinder? You will need to do one or the other to get the fluid moving. One other possibility is the brake hose is corroded and plugged and will not allow fluid to pass through. You could disconnect the hose to see if fluid comes that far in the system. You could also crack the bleeder screw on the opposite brake cylinder to see if fluid comes out. There is also a rear proportioning valve in the system but that should not prevent the rear brakes from being bled. Good luck!

AlexAlex
                    Participant

[quote=”Mechmann” post=180730]Assuming you have no ABS fault light on (amber light), you should be able to bleed the rear brakes. The modulator should be in the home position automatically that will allow bleeding. Are you pressurizing the master cylinder or pumping the brake pedal to force fluid out the rear brake cylinder? You will need to do one or the other to get the fluid moving. One other possibility is the brake hose is corroded and plugged and will not allow fluid to pass through. You could disconnect the hose to see if fluid comes that far in the system. You could also crack the bleeder screw on the opposite brake cylinder to see if fluid comes out. There is also a rear proportioning valve in the system but that should not prevent the rear brakes from being bled. Good luck![/quote]

NO fluid in both rear left and right drums after after pump brake hold release bleeders on both drums . No fluid coming out .NO fluid Im thinking this system has a sequence to follow .There lies thiese things I was told about in school about proportioning valve .

Dave ReuterMechmann
                      Participant

I am an ex-Delphi Chassis engineer and worked on your ABS brake system. As long as the ABS system was working, the pistons inside the unit will automatically re-home and open up valves to permit fluid to flow to the rear brakes in non-ABS mode. So most likely, if your ABS was working then this should not be a problem.

1) Are you using the proper manual bleed procedure? (i.e. open the bleeder valve, push the pedal to the floor and hold it there, close the bleeder valve, release the brake pedal, repeat the process), This acts like a pump to move fluid into the brake lines.

2) Did you let the fluid reservoir get empty? Number one rule… never let the reservoir get low on fluid as that allow air into the master cylinder. If so, you may have to re-bleed the master cylinder. Loosen the rear brake pipes at the ABS modulator under the hood of the car. See if fluid comes out there. That will confirm the master cylinder needs bleeding or you do have a defective ABS unit (yellow ABS light should glow on dash) and the unit has not re-homed properly. Leave the brake pipes loose there and then slowly pump the brake pedal a number of times to see if you can get the air out of the system.

3) If you have a pressure bleeder and no fluid is coming out at the modulator, that is a sign it is not re-homing.

4) If all else fails, a GM dealer or a good shop will have a “Tech-2” service tool that can diagnose the unit and automatically re-home it as well as pressure bleed the rear brakes. Good luck.

AlexAlex
                        Participant

Yes Ive I pressure bleeding test on both rear cylinders has provide no results. Im left in non home position right now so I have to work on getting a vacuum pump today and start trying to home it . Im going to put some 20-25 bar on rear with hand pump then Ill move to front to try and get front to move so rears will open .

AlexAlex
                          Participant

[quote=”Packard93″ post=180679]Like I already told u I bleed the rear in this manner and I was unable to get any fluid. No excuse fluid resovoir is full
                            bleed screw should do.[/quote]Unable to bleed brake from left rear wheel hub/?????????????????????????Help ??

Dave ReuterMechmann
                            Participant

I think you can only re-home the ABS unit electronically. The unit uses a motor, gear, and ball screw arrangement to move a piston up and down inside a bore. When the piston is at the top, it opens a valve to permit fluid to flow to the rear brakes. Did the ABS unit work before you took off the wheel cylinder? Did you have a yellow ABS light staying on when you drove the car? That could also explain why the unit did not re-home properly. I’ll try to find out some more information on the unit.

MikeMike
                              Participant

[quote=”Mechmann” post=180762]Are you using the proper manual bleed procedure? (i.e. open the bleeder valve, push the pedal to the floor and hold it there, close the bleeder valve, release the brake pedal, repeat the process), This acts like a pump to move fluid into the brake lines.[/quote]

Thank you for posting this. For some reason, many people are convinced that proper brake bleeding involves keeping the bleeder valve open continuously while pumping the pedal multiple times. When I try to tell them otherwise, they look at me like I’m an alien life form.

The amount of myth and misconception that worms its way into any subject matter is staggering, especially in our modern “information age”.

Dave ReuterMechmann
                                Participant

I’ve attached a schematic of the rear ABS system. If the unit is working, each time you turn on the key, the unit will re-home the rear ABS pistons. This will open the valves that permit fluid flow from the master cylinder to the rear wheels. If the unit is no functioning properly and the pistons do not re-home then you can turn your key on and off to see if that re-homes the piston. You can go to a shop with at GM Tech-2 diagnostic tool and they can try to re-home the pistons for you, or you may simply need a new unit. If your ABS trouble light is on and you would then be driving with ordinary brakes (no ABS active), you could try the following for a short-term fix. Remove the unit. Take off the lower cover. Remove the center nut and gear. Turn the screw counter-clockwise to re-home the pistons. Replace the gear and nut and cover. This is not recommended long term (no ABS), but it will re-home the unit until it is replaced.
                                  Good luck getting your brakes working again.

Attachments:
                                  AlexAlex
                                  Participant

Yes I was able to home it . I put on the ground drove it in the parking lot of my apartment complex and was able to home it was a sigh of relief after beiing at this for over a day and half and to finally come to end . I spent another day outside with it bleeding for 10 to 12 hours bleeding it I bought harbor frieght pump was pie of shh&&( but work for a liittle I was able to pull 18 to 15 psi on my abs rear bleeder under the bonnet. After that i procedded to bleed the rest of the wheels for several hours . Worked on it into the night too . bUT i HAD FLUID So I knew I was good so I just kept at it .

The instructions for bleeding and homing are both about driving and bleeding two front bleeder screws on the abs and it says the lines but I can just do it from the bleeder on each wheel then .So I just used as much info I could soak up from mechanic I had number too and told me to home it by driving slowly I was using only a handbrake for stopping at 2 to 4 mile per hour.. . Worked great . I think it could use a little more bleeder but Im happy with the brakes I have now I have rear and fronts all working fine . I took it for cruise last night and this morning to go get my shopping done that I had put off to do the mechanic work . I took my inspections today and passed So I can get my new sticker.

I really want to find a better vacuum pump probably make a bleeder bottle for my abs braking system I need something that can pull a vacuum and not leak. Mityvac I did not like it was too flimsy of a pump for real job .This mityvac not a good tool for abs bleeding .I stopped using and started to use my foot brake more reliable. Does anyone have good one I can make with powerade bottle.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…