Menu

1996 Neon DOHC no start

• Creator
    Topic
    John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
    Participant

My wife came home from work and said the car was running really bad. We’ve been having some intermittent misfire problems with the #1 and #4 cyls (P0300 P0301 P0304 codes were generated). I’d put in a new Airtex fuel pump module (January), new coil pack and new spark plug wires and plugs in it (March). Still had the problem but it was still intermittent so she just drove it. Well this time when went out to check the codes I got all the P0300 codes that I got before but this time a P0401 (EGR) was mixed in. It was dark out and I was using the dome light in the car to read the Snap On MT2500 and somehow I messed up and reset the codes. Couldn’t get the car to start. It turned over but would not start. About an hour later I went out and it started and I drove it around the block and backed it into the parking area here. no codes came up on the drive around. Shut it off and then couldn’t get it to start again. Decided to let it sit overnight and let the wife drive the

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Theres a fuel filter under the car passenger side next to the gas tank. sounds like it needs to
        be changed.C8-)good luck and keep us posted

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_ … Dodge_Neon

Participant

If you read my posting thoroughly I stated “I have no accumulator no other filter between the module and the fuel rail at the engine.” Fuel filter is in the pressure regulator/filter

college mancollege man

I did read the post.I thought maybe you over looked it. good luck to you and keep us postedW-|

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
            Participant

Are you sure there is no other filter? I looked up the car on Autozone an it shows this filter:

Seems like an external unit to me. But regardless, even if the filter is part of the regulator assy, a filter SHOULD have been changed when you did the pump since it’s probably what killed off the other pump.

Participant

I DO NOT HAVE A FILTER BETWEEN THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR/FILTER WHERE THE GAS LINE CONNECTS TO THE TANK AND THE FUEL RAIL AT THE ENGINE, NOR DO I HAVE AN ACCUMULATOR BETWEEN TANK AND RAIL I HAVE THE PLASTIC TANK. THERE IS ONLY ONE GAS LINE OUTLET FROM THE FUEL PUMP MODULE.
                This is the fuel pressure regulator/filter I have in the fuel pump module where the gas line is connected to the tank.
                http://www.google.com/patents?id=F2YcAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=US+Patent+5,078,167&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6dCGT–xEYm29QSy9MnLCA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=US%20Patent%205%2C078%2C167&f=false

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                Participant

Quoted From johnbkobb:

I DO NOT HAVE A FILTER BETWEEN THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR/FILTER WHERE THE GAS LINE CONNECTS TO THE TANK AND THE FUEL RAIL AT THE ENGINE, NOR DO I HAVE AN ACCUMULATOR BETWEEN TANK AND RAIL I HAVE THE PLASTIC TANK THERE IS ONLY ONE GAS LINE OUTLET FROM THE FUEL PUMP MODULE
                  This is the fuel pressure regulator/filter i have in the fuel pump module where the gas line is connected to the tank
                  http://www.google.com/patents?id=F2YcAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=US+Patent+5,078,167&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6dCGT–xEYm29QSy9MnLCA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=US%20Patent%205%2C078%2C167&f=false

OK. Must be they used a few different configurations that year, or AZ has the wrong part listed.

Participant

Wiki answers dot com is only as good as the people who provide the answers. There are 2 types of gas tanks on the 1996 Neons metal – with 2 outlets on the fuel pump assembly. Plastic tank has a different fuel pump assembly with only one gas outlet (from the pressure regulator/filter) Would attach pics of both but I don’t know how to do that, sorry.

Participant

Quoted From johnzcarz:

OK. Must be they used a few different configurations that year, or AZ has the wrong part listed.

I was sold that same part at Advance Auto Parts and had to return it because I didn’t have one and there was no way to configure it to work with what I have

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                      Participant

The misfire codes may have been due to the issue of fuel pressure. Did you stress test the ignition system before replacing all those parts?

Also, did you cycle the key several times to see if the pressure will build up on the gage?

I would also do a voltage drop test on the feed and ground side of the fuel pump wiring to rule out any connection issues.

Did you use a amp meter and see how many amps the current pump is pulling and varying those against factory specifications?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

As much as it pains me to say this Airtex pumps don’t have a very good reputation and since you have done the right thing by checking the pressure and have stated that there really is nothing between the tank and the engine other than a fuel line I would say you might want to replace the pump and recheck for the problem.

Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

The misfire codes may have been due to the issue of fuel pressure. Did you stress test the ignition system before replacing all those parts?

Also, did you cycle the key several times to see if the pressure will build up on the gage?

I would also do a voltage drop test on the feed and ground side of the fuel pump wiring to rule out any connection issues.

Did you use a amp meter and see how many amps the current pump is pulling and varying those against factory specifications?

I don’t understand your phrase “stress test the ignition system”

Yes, I used my Snap On MT2500 to turn the pump on and off several times and I got no more pressure than 9 psi at the rail, which was the same reading I got at the output of the pressure regulator at the fuel pump module at the gas tank. Could not build up the pressure.

I will be checking the black and red wires that go to the pump 12V at red wire 0V at the black. All the voltage applied should drop at the pump? Or will there be a voltage drop at the relay so maybe the pump doesn’t get the voltage it needs?

My meter only does 10 amps but I never checked the current draw of the pump motor.

Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

As much as it pains me to say this Airtex pumps don’t have a very good reputation and since you have done the right thing by checking the pressure and have stated that there really is nothing between the tank and the engine other than a fuel line I would say you might want to replace the pump and recheck for the problem.

Just talked to Amazon.com where I purchased the Airtex pump module and they are over nighting me a new pump. I will follow up when I have more info to post about this. Thanks for the personal reply Eric. Just got through watching FATR 31 thru 47 Gotta find 1 thru 30 and watch them also don’t know if there are any after 47 will have to see if I can find them if they’re out there.

Participant

Quoted From johnbkobb:

I don’t understand your phrase “stress test the ignition system”

Yes, I used my Snap On MT2500 to turn the pump on and off several times and I got no more pressure than 9 psi at the rail, which was the same reading I got at the output of the pressure regulator at the fuel pump module at the gas tank. Could not build up the pressure.

I will be checking the black and red wires that go to the pump 12V at red wire 0V at the black. All the voltage applied should drop at the pump? Or will there be a voltage drop at the relay so maybe the pump doesn’t get the voltage it needs?

My meter only does 10 amps but I never checked the current draw of the pump motor.

Update – 12.87V at the module plug same as measured at battery terminals new pump shows no pressure, the Airtex I removed at least showed 8-9 psi fuel gauge works fine though 3/4 tank now I gotta drain it again. At least I don’t need to clean it again.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                                Participant

When you installed the new pump, did you have to modify your fuel pump wiring harness connector or was it all plug in and play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McnXLcJN … k2Q6A5Q%3D

Did you check the ground side of the fuel pump wiring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZiTsKC … 6D8j_ew%3D

Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

When you installed the new pump, did you have to modify your fuel pump wiring harness connector or was it all plug in and play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McnXLcJN … k2Q6A5Q%3D

Did you check the ground side of the fuel pump wiring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZiTsKC … 6D8j_ew%3D

plug and play direct replacement of new module

before I had my wife actuate the fuel pump module with the MT2500 the voltage on the black and red wires for the motor inside the module had 0.10V with the ignition switch in the on position not the start position. When she actuated the pump module with the scanner it went to 12.87V at the red and black wires for the pump motor and there was no pressure but I could hear the pump.

I have a new motor arriving tomorrow to replace the one in the original pump module and a new replacement for the Airtex E7097M (that was only able to put out 8-9 psi) should be here sometime toward the middle of the week. Do you have a land line phone I could call you at? If so email it direct to kc8frw at gmail dot com and let me know when would be the best time to call.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…