Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1997 Civic with mysterious vibration in front end.

1997 Civic with mysterious vibration in front end.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1997 Civic with mysterious vibration in front end.

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert SiegfriedRob
    Participant

We have a 1997 Honda Civic. Just the normal 4 door same as the one in your videos. The front end shakes at 40 mph while running at constant speed only. It can take some time to start. The resonance has to develop Add power or back off and it stops vibrating. It happens only in a straight line. It appears to be a rotational vibration in line with the direction of travel, not a wobble. it comes and goes. We discovered it shortly after we bought the car fifteen years ago. The steering is very responsive and I can’t feel any slop. There are no noises.

The car is stock except for the wheels which are aftermarket cast 15×3 1/2 JJ and the tires which are 195 55 15.

This is what has been done for various reasons, over the years.
      Replaced tires with same size
      Replaced wheels with same size.
      Replaced CV axles
      Replaced steering rack
      Replaced calipers and pads
      checked discs for run out
      Alignment
      Replaced drivers side engine mount.

I have asked several mechanics about it while getting alignments and other repairs and they all say there is nothing loose or worn and that it should not happen. I had a theory but they said it was wrong. The Car Talk guys are no longer there so I will ask here. Just for S&G here is my theory which was called false. I thought that changing the wheel size may have altered the frequency that some parts the front end resonated , possibly springs, and it caused the shake. Has anyone sen this before? What could cause it and what can I try?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MathieuMathieu
      Participant

A distorted brake rotter with a few millimeter of difference can do that and also running winter and 4 season tire in summer time might cause uneven wear to the tire.

MathieuMathieu
        Participant

After a night of sleep, I think you might need to check exhaust gas leakage from the exhaust manifold down to the catalytic converter. Hot gas will expend your break fluid in your brake line and in your brake maker cylinder (the place you put you brake oil). If you have a exhaust leakage in the engine bay, you will have dust around the engine and oil smell coming from the engine while you drive It. You will also feel hot air coming from the leak when you pas your hand on It while the engine i running.

Robert SiegfriedRob
          Participant

[quote=”Plasmide56″ post=199776]After a night of sleep, I think you might need to check exhaust gas leakage from the exhaust manifold down to the catalytic converter. Hot gas will expend your break fluid in your brake line and in your brake maker cylinder (the place you put you brake oil). If you have a exhaust leakage in the engine bay, you will have dust around the engine and oil smell coming from the engine while you drive It. You will also feel hot air coming from the leak when you pas your hand on It while the engine i running.[/quote]

That is interesting. I do have a leak in the converter. I plan to replace it soon. It just started to leak and it is a small leak. I can hear it. The shake has been going on for 14 years so probably not that. I will be replacing it though. I just recently replaced 90% the brake system and checked the rest. Tires are “all season”. No winter here in the Keys. Wife has lead foot so we have been through several different sets and the vibration stays the same. I ruled out springs and struts too because the car was 5 years old with 30,000 mi when we got it and it vibrated then.

CodyCody
            Participant

Only thing I can think of are wheel bearings or motor mounts.

Robert SiegfriedRob
              Participant

[quote=”codyj” post=199783]Only thing I can think of are wheel bearings or motor mounts.[/quote]
                I do have a bad motor mount passenger side top. I already bought the replacement. I did replace the drivers side lower. I will be gone for a couple of weeks and will do the work when I get back.

Robert SiegfriedRob
                Participant

Replaced the passenger side trans upper motor mount and will report back. Ordered Distributor cap and rotor and will do that next. Honestly did not know that these needed the cap and rotor replaced. Always had Subarus with the electronic ignition that never needed anything. Had the car 17 years and never changed it. Funny!

Robert SiegfriedRob
                  Participant

Replaced rotor and cap. Both were in good condition and were at least 17 years old! Nippon Denso- Good stuff! Still have the vibration. Iy happens at a steady 35-40mph and goes away with any change in speed, brakes or throttle. Where do I go from here?

RichRich
                    Participant

This may be a long shot, but you didn’t mention whether or not the wheels had ever been balanced.

I imagine this would be done for any tire replacement (as you note the tires were replaced), however, I wouldn’t assume the wheels had been properly balanced.

You might consider taking the car to a shop specifically to get the wheel balance looked at.

Robert SiegfriedRob
                      Participant

[quote=”civvy” post=200833]This may be a long shot, but you didn’t mention whether or not the wheels had ever been balanced.

I imagine this would be done for any tire replacement (as you note the tires were replaced), however, I wouldn’t assume the wheels had been properly balanced.

You might consider taking the car to a shop specifically to get the wheel balance looked at.[/quote]

Yes. First thing I tried. A agree but they have been balanced around five times over the years, as tires were replaced, alignments done and front end work completed. Oddly enough when it does this, both tires shake simultaneously. Since it only happens occasionally I wonder if their is a slight vibration that has to sinc up and be at just the right speed to happen. It goes away when the speed changes. Our neighbor has a Civic that was damaged in Irma and sits in the yard. It doesn’t have OEM size tires either but they are a different size from ours. Possibly I should borrow the front ones and see if it stops. Might help rule out or confirm my theory that our low profile tires and larger wheels are the cause.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…