Menu

[1998 Accord LX 2.3 overheating

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here [1998 Accord LX 2.3 overheating

• Creator
    Topic
    HenryHenry
    Participant

1998 Accord LX with Manual transmission 2.3
      I have had all kinds of over heating problems since I bought this car 3 months ago.I did a compression test after I was getting a p0300(random misfire).I also changed the plugs,wires cap and rotors.It still didnt fix the intermittent low idle and the

miss at start up.It’s worse when the AC is on and I crank it up.It clears up after about 5 seconds.I am reading somewhere that the IAC,injectors or carbon build up in the intake could be the problem.
      The Compression test all showed around 185-190psi.Fair enough.Mind you , when I thought I had a head gasket problem I used bars leak.That must have clogged up my radiator.Besides the compression test, I also did the solution test that identifies head gasket problems and it passed(the pump and solution).I have also used this solution called IRONTITE to clean out the junk in the rad.That seemed to have worked because the temp is at 195-200 at idle and with the ac on.

This is the second problem I am having………………..Today I busted the upper rad hose and the car started to overheat while on the highway.This slowed me down but the engine was still running.I was trying to make it home .The car felt like it was revving but not moving.(I could only got about 25mph)I got home and changed the hose and filled it up with coolant and everything is normal.In research, something is telling me the cats were getting hot and that must have slowed down the car(back pressure or clogging while engine temps are hot).
      Any ideas?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MathieuMathieu
      Participant

Well, after you did the IRONITE, I hope you ave replace the coolant. Otherwise, after 15 000 miles, your water pump will have a seal leak and a bad bearing.
        Gasket sealer always clog the radiator and many time, the head gasket sealer work. You must only add green coolant after you used a head gasket in bottle sealer. You might need to replace the radiator that cost 100$.

The only 3 things that can create a misfire are : Dirty fuel injectors, cover gasket oil leak in the spark plug and the miss aligner timing belt.

A miss align timing belt with the valve timing can cause some problem if not perfectly aligned.
        Some videos.

HenryHenry
        Participant

Yes, I did replace the coolant after the irontite. This is the 2nd rad after the gasket sealer . I have another new one I bought from eBay . Thx for the links

MathieuMathieu
          Participant

You welcome !

MathieuMathieu
            Participant

After thought, you need to bleed the air from the engine block and the cooling system to avoid overheat and cold air in the cabin heater.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…