Menu

1998 Bonneville random cut off

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1998 Bonneville random cut off

• Creator
    Topic

I have a guy that brought me a 1998 Pontiac Bonneville with the 3800 engine in it. It was having an idle issue, so I fixed the trouble codes it had and a few other issues, got it to run well and sent it on it’s way. A few days later he called me and said it keeps cutting off while it idles and when it comes down to idle. He brought the car back I looked it over found a MAP sensor that had separated, replaced it and let it go again. That worked for about a week and now it is doing the same thing but with no trouble codes and when I get to test it, the car works fine. Hotter days seem to make it worse, but I am at a loss as to what to do now. Please tell me if you have any ideas on this problem. The car also has about a half inch of burnt oil covering everything. There are no vacuum leaks, the map sensor, air intake temp sensor, TPS, and Ignition control Module have all been replaced. :S

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
    Participant

I would probably look at scan tool data for fuel trims. This seems like it could be a fuel delivery problem. You might also check the IACV, and clean the throttle body.

Thanks that was where I was going to start next, was just wanting a “second opinion” I was also thinking it may be the ignition switch or comp, because he just called me a short while ago and said it cut off won’t start and none of the windows will roll up. :blink:

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
      Participant

Ahhh don’t you just love the problem children…

Ok, I would add to the previous list to check the battery ground cable. Check the battery terminal real well for corrosion and proper connection, as well as making sure where it connects to the body ground is secure.

Yeah LOL this one is testing me. The worst part is when I have it in front of me it works fine, well as fine as a 200k mile car can, and it refuses to put out a trouble code of any type. :unsure: It’s days like these that I miss fixing helicopters.

:cheer: Finally found the problem I was able to get the car and have it stop running while I was there and it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor failing intermittently. So now that this car has made me look like a noob maybe I can get this thing going again.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

[quote=”Nipplator” post=137327]:cheer: Finally found the problem I was able to get the car and have it stop running while I was there and it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor failing intermittently. So now that this car has made me look like a noob maybe I can get this thing going again.[/quote]

A common problem on that vehicle. Good find! Thanks for keeping us updated and for using the ETCG forum.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…