Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1998 Buick Regal Aftermarket Radio Attempt??

1998 Buick Regal Aftermarket Radio Attempt??

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Car Audio 1998 Buick Regal Aftermarket Radio Attempt??

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark StewartMark Stewart
    Participant

Like my title suggests, I would like to install an aftermarket radio in my Buick Regal because my factory radio is starting to quit working. Where I worry is that the car has the security system and the factory radio has theft lock. I know that means they are interconnected to each other. My fear is that by removing the factory radio is that my security system is going to go crazy and start acting up. Is there any advice as to working with this? Will the security be a problem or will it not effect an install. I have installed aftermarket radios before but on cars and radios that did not have a security system.

Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      zerozero
      Participant

I believe that the theft “protection” is only part of the deck. If you lose power it should lock out and require a code, that of course was never properly recorded and can only be obtained through a dealer.

While I have never removed one of these radio units, I have never experienced a disconnected or locked out radio causing alarm related issues, even on a VW. Not to say it isn’t a possibility, it would probably be a good idea to disconnect the head unit and make sure everything functions properly before going any further.

DaveDave
        Participant

I know my 2000 Oldsmobile Alero’s radio had theft lock. I replaced the head unit and I had no issues with the aftermarket head unit or my security system.

JasonJason
          Participant

“theft lock” on GM Delphi radios only applies to the radio itself, its not connected to the alarm of the car, i did a install on a Buick a few years back with the “theft lock” had no issues what so ever, now, if your car has on star you do need to get the control module for it, but other wise just get your wiring adaptors and a dash kit and go to town,

really would not recommend cutting any wires in the dash tho, and the speaker replacement can be a pain sometimes, buick likes to put the rear speakers in from the top as opposed to all other GM cars where its from the bottom and u can pull them out of the trunk.

hope we helped you!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…