Menu

1998 Ford Expedition 4WD issue/s

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1998 Ford Expedition 4WD issue/s

• Creator
    Topic
    hodges710hodges710
    Participant

Hello all, I have this 98 Expedition and when placed in 4 high(at any low speed)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

I would consult the owners manual first as some 4wd vehicles can not be shifted on the fly from hi to low. You have to be at a complete stop on most vehicles.

hodges710hodges710
        Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

I would consult the owners manual first as some 4wd vehicles can not be shifted on the fly from hi to low. You have to be at a complete stop on most vehicles.

Thanks for the reply, my problem is just when using 4 high which i can use at any speed below 45, when working lol. When I use the A4wd mode however it works without what it gives me when in 4 high. Of course A4wd isnt even 4×4 but just an extra traction help in need.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Are all of your tires the same size?

MattMatt
            Participant

Also, there’s no Check Engine light? If the tires are the wrong size, or if you are getting bad readings from a wheel speed sensor, I would think it would throw a code.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

Checking to see if all the tires are the correct size as well as all the same brand are very important on a 4wd vehicle.

Using incorrect sizes causes a lot of drive line wind up and transfer cases/differentials don’t like that….

hodges710hodges710
                Participant

Tires are all the same size and even what the truck called for from factory and there is no CEL on. Thanks for the replies

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

OK thanks for that information. Now that we can rule out different sized tires it’s time to focus on the transfer case and driveline. To be honest I don’t know that particular set up but I’m wondering if you could put all 4 wheels up off the ground and verify that the 4WD is actually engaging and that the wheels move, you may also be able to put your eyes on the problem at this point as you would be able to get under that and ‘hear’ more of what is happening when you try to put it in 4WD. It would also be an opportunity to check the fluid level and condition in the transfer case.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…