Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1998 GMC oil filter is stuck—like really stuck

1998 GMC oil filter is stuck—like really stuck

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1998 GMC oil filter is stuck—like really stuck

• Creator
    Topic
    Jonathan FennJonathan Fenn
    Participant

I am trying to change the oil for the first time on my truck. I just bought a 1998 GMC k2500 6.5L diesel. I went to change the oil filter and it is more stuck than I’ve ever seen. Here’s some of the stuff I’ve done:

I tried by hand, tried with an oil filter wrench, used some sandpaper for extra grip, and tried with a couple of ratchet attachments.

Then I got desperate. I hammered a screwdriver through and wrenched on it until I mangled the oil filter. I exposed the holes on the top plate of the old filter, then hammered a screwdriver at an angle to try to unscrew it.

None of that worked. So I stopped for the day and drank a beer. This morning I worked a knife blade around the seal as much as I could given the angles involved, then hammered again at the top plate until I carved a path through the metal of the oil filter, but it still didn’t budge.

Now I’m as stuck as my filter. The access isn’t great, and I’m all out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas? What would a professional shop do here? I don’t have any welding experience, but at this point I’m considering buying a welder and learning how to weld a socket on. This seems like overkill but I’m ready for overkill right now.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

Here’s a link to some photos if it’s helpful. I think it’s more embarrassing than helpful, but I need help lol.

Brian RegnerBrian Regner
        Participant

Can you get a drift punch or air hammer and get ahold of one of those filter holes to get it to spin ?

Participant

Well I was using a flat head screwdriver as a punch because I didn’t have a long enough punch. I suppose the air hammer could work, but I assume that it’ll just cut through the filter head like the screwdriver did.

I went and ordered one of these things: https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/talonoilfilter.php?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy579BRCPARIsAB6QoIawYVlxymFajP4AKoceU7B1hP13lrzJE5tEDoDOlWA5JQYNxHZtppYaAibhEALw_wcB

It’s pretty expensive and will take a while to ship, but it’s less expensive than learning how to weld lol. Plus I don’t like the idea of welding right by all that oil and diesel, especially when I don’t know what I’m doing.

Brian RegnerBrian Regner
            Participant

The idea with the air hammer is to let the vibration do the work. Dull the bit or cut a long Phillips screwdriver and use it in the air hammer as a dull drift.

Participant

I don’t have access to an air hammer, but that’s a good idea! I’ll update in a week or two when the part ships out. Fortunately I’ve got a lot of other work to do on the truck in the meantime.

Participant

I used that bogert talon oil filter removal tool that I linked to above, and finally got it off. It needed a breaker bar and had to turn maybe a full turn before it got any looser, and then I still had to use a ratchet until it was completely off. I don’t know what the previous owner did, but the oil is changed now lol.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…