Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1999 acura 3.2 tl terrible noise over 40 mils/hour

1999 acura 3.2 tl terrible noise over 40 mils/hour

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1999 acura 3.2 tl terrible noise over 40 mils/hour

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MikeMike.
  • Creator
    Topic
    johnjohn
    Participant

Hello guys,

My 1999 tl has pretty bad noise when doing 40 miles and up. The whining noise sounds like a supercharge activated when speeding up. The faster the car goes, the louder it will be. A mechanic told me it was a wheel bearing issue. I replaced the driver-side front bearing but it did not help (it wasn’t as smooth as it should be though). I checked the passenger side bearing and it worked fine. I also checked the front wheels after jacked up them. It feels like almost zero clearance on either side. Then I did another test. I jacked up both front wheels and started the engine and placed the tranny in drive. Then pressed the gas gradually. I did not hear any noise at all. But it definitely has something to do with suspension components, right?

When driving, I have no problems moving forward and backward and no noise when changing gears. I doubt it’s the tranny issues. The drive belts are only a few months old. What about the alternator? If it’s the bearing of the alternator, the noise won’t be that loud. What about transaxle bearing(s)?

I’m planning to take the car to a dealer but not sure it they can detect the problems.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tim RoweTim Rowe
      Participant

Rotate tires? See if it moves.

johnjohn
        Participant

I rotated the tires but unfortunately it doesn’t help. Any more suggestions? Thanks again.

When doing around 50 miles, the noise is so loud that I cannot hear the radio no more.
          I took the car to a transmission shop. One of the mechanics told me he was very sure that there is nothing wrong with the tranny. He insist that it be one of the bearings. But I doubt it. Because I replaced one and checked the other 3. They are good.

One more thing. the 2 rear sway-bar links are broken, for some while. Do you think it has something to do with the noises? I don’t think so.

Billy AndrewsBilly
          Participant

Mount chassis ears at all 4 wheels, see which is loud, replace that bearing.

MikeMike
            Participant

Wheel bearings very often make noise without having any excessive play.
              Follow instructions here:
              https://ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car/wheel-bearing-noises

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…