Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 chrysler voyager 3.3L runs cool

2000 chrysler voyager 3.3L runs cool

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 chrysler voyager 3.3L runs cool

• Creator
    Topic
    William PearsonWilliam Pearson
    Participant

The engine temperature stays cool (the first mark on the temperature guage) on my wife’s 2000 Chrysler Voyager, 3.3L. I put in a new thermostat and ‘burped’ the bubbles out of the coolant using the ‘spill free funnel’, but the engine continues to run cool. Any other ideas on why it won’t come up to normal operating temperature?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

Either the replacement thermostat is no good or the gauge is reading wrong. Is the heater supplying hot air or only warm? You didn’t say where you got the thermostat from but the dealer is the best place.

You could also connect a scan tool that supplies data and read the engine temp as the computer calculates it.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Another possibility is that your cooling fan is not functioning properly. If it’s running all the time, it can also cause that condition.

You might want to test your new thermostat and make sure it’s installed correctly.

Keep us posted.

William PearsonWilliam Pearson
          Participant

Thanks for the input. You were right about the original equipment thermostat. I went to the dealer and got a thermostat, replaced the one I got at Auto Zone and now the engine comes right up to temperature and holds it perfectly! I also did the boiling water test on the old thermostat and found that it was not closing all the way when I pulled it out of the hot water.

But now the radiator drain plug is leaking, a slow drip. I sure don’t want to damage the radiator itself, so I wonder what is the proper way to remove and replace the drain plug on a 2000 Chrysler Voyager?

Thanks again for your help. And, Eric, your videos are great. They have helped walk me through diagnosing, repairing and keeping our family’s cars going.

BillBill
            Participant

There are replacement radiator drain plugs available for some applications. you might check with the dealer.

I found this by doing a quick search for you.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/1997-2000-plymouth-grand-voyager/oe-replacement-radiator-drain-plug/p3051313d1786y1997-2000j1.jcwx

If it’s plastic you can loosen fully it and it should pull right out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…