Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Honda Accord – Front Caliper Gremlin

2000 Honda Accord – Front Caliper Gremlin

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Honda Accord – Front Caliper Gremlin

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    lothian mcadamlothian
    Participant

2000 Honda Accord v6
      150k miles

I’m frustrated by a real gremlin in both front calipers: Sluggish retraction.

Test procedure:
      I have the front of the off the ground with engine running; the wheels spin in gear or neutral. After I press the brakes, say 20 times, the calipers won’t release–wheel won’t turn in gear and it’s impossible to turn by. Calipers eventually release after an hour or so; otherwise I release them by cracking the bleeder valves.

I have done the following yet the problem persists.
      – Replaced internal seals and boots on both calipers. Caliper bores are pristine. Pistons are pristine.
      – Replaced both bleeder valves.
      – Replaced both brake hoses with Geniuine Honda; replaced all crush washers; replaced banjo bolts.
      – Replaced caliper pins and boots; repacked with Permatex 24125
      – Replaced pads and clips; lubed with Permatex 24125.
      – Completely flushed brake fluid and replaced with fresh.

Given that the calipers stop the car perfectly but don’t release pressure when the brake petal retracts seems to indicate a check valve behaviour somewhere in the line. Old brake hoses are notorious for being the source of this sort of problem, as are a couple other items in my list. But I’ve replaced all the usual suspects with no success.

What am I missing?
      Anyone else have experience with this specific gremlin and its remedy?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…