Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Honda Odyssey Power Steering Rack Replacemen

2000 Honda Odyssey Power Steering Rack Replacemen

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Honda Odyssey Power Steering Rack Replacemen

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert McMahangaseousmercury
    Participant

Hi all:

My 2000 Odyssey with 233000 miles just failed inspection because of my power steering rack. I am going to replace it; however, I was looking for some input as to whether or not I should replace anything else while I’m doing this job. I was considering putting some new axles on because I need to remove them anyway. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thank you

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rudy WilmothRudy Wilmoth
      Participant

🙂 I see you love to drive your Odyssey. Let me ask you questions about your future use of the van. Is this your daily driver and do you plan to keep it for how much longer ? You have 233 K miles on it, I would say it is nice and broken in. If you are going to part with it in the near future and the CV joints are still good, I would not invest in the replacement of a lot of parts. If you are going to drive it till the wheels fall off and you need it as a dependable POS, then any improvement by replacing worn parts would be a good thing while you are there. Be careful, if you plan to keep the van and are going to replace parts, with those miles and not knowing what you have replaced, you could spend some money to get it back to passing inspection. Good Luck

Robert McMahangaseousmercury
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. Its been a reliable vehicle for me and I plan on driving it until it falls apart. I’ve done a lot of work to it over the years but no front end work until now. I can’t afford factory axles so I’m trying to weigh the options of whether to replace tired stock axles with cheap aftermarket ones. I’m probably going to replace the tie rod ends. The rack is what is making it fail inspections. I actually just rebuilt both front calipers and replaced the pads and rotors.

Rudy WilmothRudy Wilmoth
          Participant

🙂 I am glad to see that you like to wrench on your Odyssey. Since you are going to keep it going, I would replace your tie rod ends while you are doing your steering rack. I would use aftermarket CV joints instead of the factory, because of the high cost of the original ones. There are good sources of parts out on the market. Your state inspection would reveal any other suspension problems, so I would drive it and just replace other suspension components as they wear out. Good Luck.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Honda never made complete axle assemblies anyway. I would not recommend them due to the expense anyway. You should be just fine with aftermarket axles. If you can get your hands on some Mevotech axles, you’d be doing pretty good. That said, if they’re not leaking I wouldn’t worry about it.

I don’t think you need to remove the axles. If you drop the sub frame down enough to gain clearance, you shouldn’t have to mess with the axles or anything else for that matter. You will need to support the engine with a brace however. I don’t recommend trying to support it with a jack. it’s too much weight to rely on something that could kick out like that. You might be able to put the subframe on jack stands, remove the bolts, raise the rest of the vehicle and support it to accomplish the same thing. It’s a little tricky but you might be able to make it work. Just be safe and protect yourself. Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…