Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee reluctant to upshift

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee reluctant to upshift

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee reluctant to upshift

• Creator
    Topic
    Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
    Participant

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4×4 4.0L with 271k mi that I just finally finished replacing the transmission on. The replacement transmission came out of my brother’s 99 GC that he wrecked and was dealer maintained and worked flawlessly when it was pulled, however it sat around for 2-3 years.

Everything seems to be working fine except the vehicle is hesitant to shift into either 3rd or 4th gear the first time. What I mean is, after starting the car, it won’t shift past 2nd into 3rd for 2-5 minutes, and then into 4th for another 5 minutes. Once it shifts into either 3rd or 4th once, it will shift up and down between these gears perfectly until you turn the vehicle off and restart, the symptom occurs about equally whether a cold start or warm start. It also doesn’t seem to go into TC lockup as much as I remember it doing before, although it does when in 4th gear at 65+ mph.

The fluid level is bang on the max line on the dipstick, I’ve played with the TV cable adjustment to no end with no change in this behavior. I’m not sure if this is temperature related or electrical. From my understanding this transmission is hydraulic except for shifting in and out of overdrive and TC lockup. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

This link will help you see if any codes are stored to helps us with diagnostic.

http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/2b7zi-2000-jeep-grand-cherokee-gears-slipping-pretty-consistently.html

Participant

Thank you so much, I had searched for a long time but this is the most helpful discussion about my specific problem I could find. I checked for codes and there are none but I realized today that the issue is definitely related to temperature. When the car has been running for a long time and the fluids are nice and hot, it shifts perfectly. When I first start it in the morning, it’s hard to coax it into 3rd and impossible to get into 4th. I’m wondering if there’s a problem with the fluid being too thick or thin causing the pressures to be off when cold. I’m going to change the filter and fluid tmrw and see if that makes a difference, then I’ll go after the governor solenoid and transducer.

Participant

I just wanted to follow up… Upon looking into replacing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer I discovered the part #s are different for 93-99 and 00-04. So being that it’s a 99 transmission in a 2000 car, I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on. I’m going to pull the solenoid set off an 00-04 at the junkyard and hopefully all will be well. Thanks again collegeman for finding that link, it got me headed in the right direction.

college mancollege man

[quote=”stiv625″ post=147437]I just wanted to follow up… Upon looking into replacing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer I discovered the part #s are different for 93-99 and 00-04. So being that it’s a 99 transmission in a 2000 car, I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on. I’m going to pull the solenoid set off an 00-04 at the junkyard and hopefully all will be well. Thanks again collegeman for finding that link, it got me headed in the right direction.[/quote]

very cool. Happy to help. keep us posted on your progress. 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…