Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2001 Accord 2.3 Balancer Timing Inquiry

2001 Accord 2.3 Balancer Timing Inquiry

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2001 Accord 2.3 Balancer Timing Inquiry

• Creator
    Topic
    icantthnkof1icantthnkof1
    Participant

I had this posted in another section and was advised

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

The vibration under load could be another related issue from possible ignition components.

I would be under the assumption the vibration would be consistent at idle and even more dominant at higher RPM’s? Please correct me if i am wrong someone.

However, I have never replaced a timing belt or balancer belt on a Honda vehicle so you will have t o wait until someone with more experience on this particular topic can hep you more.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

If you have an aftermarket ‘B’ pipe (after the cat before the muffler) it’s likely the resonator is bad causing the noise you have, I’ve seen it many times before, what happens is the welds break loose on the inner pipe and cause it to ‘resonate’ at a given RPM and speed, it can be quite intermittent and hard to find if you don’t know about it.

As for the timing belt procedure if you don’t have a vibration around 2500 RPM you got the balance belt in correctly. If you follow the procedure in the video it eliminates the need to install the bolt in the back of the block and saves the trouble of going through those steps, I used to do it that way in the beginning but over time I found that step was not necessary and if you follow my steps in the video on how to place the marks and install the belt you’ll be just fine.

icantthnkof1icantthnkof1
          Participant

OK. Update.

First, thanks all for your assistance. I did a valve job over the weekend and it fixed the prominent ticking noise. In fact, there’s no ticking at all. The engine really purs. I couldn’t believe how many valves where out of spec (all but 2). One valve was about .04 mm out of spec. Thank you again Eric, for the valve adjustment vid!

As for the low vibration/knocking/noise, adjusting the valves seemed to cure about 95%. I’m attributing the 5% to age. Still occurring under certain load. The exhaust system is completely stock. I did have to replace the OEM ULEV cat about 60K miles ago. It costs almost 1k, luckily I found a good deal at 250. Though, 250 still seems like a lot for a cat.

Well, thanks again to everyone.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Thanks for the update. Don’t forget to change the traffic light to green if the issue is resolved so it updates our data base C8-)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

It’s actually the pipe after the cat that is suspect, BTW I’ve also seen the same issue with the OE pipes from time to time but it seems like it’s almost a given with some aftermarket pipes. You might want to check to see if they installed the spring bolts correctly as I believe there was a TSB on those models that have the ‘short’ pipe before the cat, the TSB was for installing new gaskets and spring bolts on that short pipe which cured the noise. Thanks for the update.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…