Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2001 dodge caravan exhaust leak + Cold start issue

2001 dodge caravan exhaust leak + Cold start issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2001 dodge caravan exhaust leak + Cold start issue

• Creator
    Topic
    Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
    Participant

I have a few questions about my van. It is a 2001 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L. 159k miles.

First question: Would an exhaust leak around the manifold cause a miss? I can see the exhaust through the heat shield when I pop the hood. I think it might be a cracked header or flange gasket thats gone dead.

Second Question: If there is crack in the header. Would it be possible to fix with like something like quiksteel or high temp epoxy (I have looked around and cant find a header)

Third Question: On occasion especially after its rained or its been humid the van refuses to start on the first try. The fuel pump engages and but the starter wont engage. however most of the time it will engage when I try to start it again. Is this a Dead starter or one that is about to go dead? or is another issue?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
      Participant

Question 1. I’ve known of cases where a leak in the exhaust caused the O2 sensor to give a false reading. This could cause a miss.

Question 2. Maybe it can be welded. Welding cast iron is a special skill. You’d need to find someone experienced.

Question 3. Starters are down where it is wet on most cars and it doesn’t seem to matter. I’d suspect something in the wiring going to the starter. That or corroded terminals at the battery.

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
        Participant

There is no corrosion on the battery terminals. I’ll have to check the wiring going to the starter. I dont know anyone who can weld cast iron sadly so I was asking sans replacing the thing is there any other options?

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
          Participant

I’ve mentioned the only viable option I know of, and its not very viable. There’s a good chance that even if welding was successful the manifold could warp still making it junk. Exhaust manifold just get too hot for sealants that work on other parts of the engine to last.

I suggest you hope it turns out to be a gasket.

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
            Participant

blimey.. That blows. I guess when i can get around to checking it I’ll have to hope its only a gasket and not the header itself.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…