Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2002 Cavalier 2.2l Intermittent No Crank

2002 Cavalier 2.2l Intermittent No Crank

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2002 Cavalier 2.2l Intermittent No Crank

• Creator
    Topic
    JustinJustin
    Participant

:huh:

So my car is a 2002 Chevy Cavalier 2.2l automatic coupe

I recently had it in the shop getting my battery replaced and then I had my starter replaced because the car would not start.

That would have been on Tuesday…This morning I get ready to leave for work and the car won’t crank. All the dash lights act normally…turn on and then some turn off after a few seconds…radio works…no starter action though…My brother is a diesel/semi truck mechanic and doesn’t know a whole ton about this particular car but he reaches in and grabs some of the wires to make sure they are tight…they are tight and I try starting again and it starts. He said it sounded like the starter banged against the fly wheel and it made a screech noise, but the car started. It has screeched a couple times since we got the starter replaced, but I thought maybe I just accidently held the key in too long.

What else could cause this intermittent starting issue? My brother thinks they needs to replace the starter and shim it to fit it properly, but he isn’t sure if that is necessary on the 2.2l, just basing that thought off of the way it sounded when it did crank finally.

Anything else we haven’t done that could be causing this or does the shop just need to adjust it and check the wiring?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If you have a test light or meter check for power to the starter relay coil. Try moving the
        shifter to the neutral position to see if it starts. Here is the wiring diagram for the starting circuit.
        The other link should help.
        http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/heavychevy396/2011-01-22_182432_2002_chevrolet_cavalier_2.2_starter_wiring.pdf

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/no-start-faq/solving-automotive-no-start-problems

wafrederickwafrederick
        Participant

The 1998 to 2002 2.2 engines are known for timing chain issues and will cause a no start.Break and jumps time.Good news is you don’t have to pull the head when this happens,a non interference engine.My dad bought a 2002 Cavalier this way,no start and I found a bad timing chain after pulling the timing cover.The tensioner was junk also and had to be replaced including the timing chain.

JustinJustin
          Participant

Good news guys – The place that replaced the starter called after I dropped it off and said that thought it is rare, the new starter they installed turned out to be defective. Picked it up and they had it replaced and it sounds much better than it did before.

As for the timing issue wafrederick…the car started after my brother played with the starter so the timing chain is OK. Thank you for the suggestion though!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

I had suspicions about the starter or it’s installation. I’m glad they were able to get that sorted out for you. Thanks for the updates and for using the ETCG forum.

college mancollege man

[quote=”jahall05″ post=153640]Good news guys – The place that replaced the starter called after I dropped it off and said that thought it is rare, the new starter they installed turned out to be defective. Picked it up and they had it replaced and it sounds much better than it did before.

As for the timing issue wafrederick…the car started after my brother played with the starter so the timing chain is OK. Thank you for the suggestion though![/quote]

Glad your back on the road. 🙂

David CannyDavid Canny
                Participant

The screeching starter would indicate a bad pinion gear on the starter.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…