Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2002 CRV clicking noise after belt change

2002 CRV clicking noise after belt change

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2002 CRV clicking noise after belt change

• Creator
    Topic
    kirk wheelerkirk wheeler
    Participant

Last summer I replaced the belt on my 2002 CRV. The vehicle was running fine with no issues or strange sounds, but after replacing the belt, almost immediately it started making a clicking sound from the passenger side of the vehicle when the AC compressor kicked in.

I could see the tensioner jumping and that seemed to be where the noise was coming from. I pulled the tensioner off and the bearing was a little rough, but not too bad, and I just figured that the spring had grown weak, and perhaps a combination of the strain from putting on the new belt, plus the belt being new in general probably caused the thing to go out. I replaced the whole tensioner assembly, but the sound has persisted.

Over the last year have taken the belt back off several times and checked all the other pulleys for slop and roughness, but nothing really jumps out as being the offending culprit. I didn’t want to start throwing parts at it, and figured that the source of the noise would reveal itself over time. This isn’t a car that is driven daily, but as near as I can tell the sound has never gotten any worse. It’s just really annoying and it just sounds like something is really wrong.

I don’t think it’s AC specific either, because I can occasionally get it to make the noise with the AC off if I put the engine under strain, like really gassing in up a steep driveway.

(not my video, but this is exactly what it looks and sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaS2dd86EDE)

Any suggestions?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kirk wheelerkirk wheeler
      Participant

Still scratching my head and made a video to hopefully help illustrate what I’m experiencing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWLwiYVIiC4

I’m still not seeing anything obvious, but maybe something here will resonate with someone else

At one point in the video I mention that the belt slips, when actually it looks like the clutch disengaged. Making me even more suspicious of the compressor assembly.

Have a look. I appreciate any feedback or ideas you all may have.

kirk wheelerkirk wheeler
        Participant

One thing I just noticed as I’ve continued digging this morning is where the indicator marks are compared to what is shown in the shop manual. I wish I would have paid attention to where the ones in the original tensioner were before I took it off. This makes me wonder if my Gates replacement was no good out of the box.

kirk wheelerkirk wheeler
          Participant

Just in case anyone (HELLO… hello… …anyone here???) happens to come across this, the culprit was the belt. The Gates replacement belt – K070683 was too long.

I bought a new Honda OEM belt, put it on and it fixed the clattering immediately. It is a noticeably shorter belt compared to the Gates.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…