Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L electric fan

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L electric fan

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L electric fan

• Creator
    Topic
    Conrad HutchingsConrad Hutchings
    Participant

My girl friend has a 2002 jeep grand Cherokee 4.0l the eleitric fan dose not kick in or anything but when u short it at the relay it kicks on idk whay it dose not kick on when it is spot to but my girl freinds mothers jeep work like how it is spot to work

Thanks Huchters358

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

It could be the relay itself having issues. Try and swap another relay of the same type or
        check for control voltage at the relay coil.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-brake-problems

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/what-to-do-when-your-engine-overheats

Participant

What is the voltage spot to be at at the realy and could it be coldnt temp sencser at the thourmastat if u jump at the realy it kicks in on it

Thanks huchters358

college mancollege man

[quote=”Huchters358″ post=169632]What is the voltage spot to be at at the realy and could it be coldnt temp sencser at the thourmastat if u jump at the realy it kicks in on it

Thanks huchters358[/quote]

What that tells us is the wiring/power is fine from that point. It still does not tell us
            if the relay is getting the control voltage to pull in or is the coil voltage there and the
            relay is having a problem? 12v should be seen at the coil.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/electrical-videos/604-how-to-test-relays

Participant

When i went threw both fues boxes and and i cant find a realy for the fan all i can find is a fuse so i dont know where it is or if there is not one. In the 2002 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 l

Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
              Participant

The fan relay under the passenger side headlight is a pretty common problem on these vehicles. It is often accompanied by a DTC, sometimes without the check engine light coming on. I believe it’s P1491, if you have that code I would definitely replace the fan relay.

Participant

Thanks it was the realy that was bad but i also have p0442 abd p0455 code it is large leak and small leak on evap syestem what it the most common place for this to happen

QuincyQuincy
                  Participant

I had a 2003 Jeep GC 4.0 liter some years ago and the two main re-occurring problems or OBDII codes I would have were the radiator fan relay in which I had to replace on average of every 6 months and the gas cap. The gas cap could certainly be the culprit to your Evap code but you want to make sure to buy an OEM Gas Cap unfortunately and not an aftermarket one. I tried putting a locking gas cap on mine and it through the Evap code, only when I put an OEM Mopar Gas Cap on it is when it went away. You may also try putting Vaseline on the O- ring seal of the gas cap to get a better seal. Aside from what I’ve already mentioned if you still have the problem, I would buy a fog machine from a party store, rig it up with a rubber air hose and turn it into a smoke evap machine for around $35-40.

Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
                    Participant

I agree with above, try the fuel filler cap first. I’ve never had any EVAP codes in over 100k miles of lifetime ownership of WJ’s so I can’t really give any specific advice, although I did have to replace the rubber boots on some vacuum connections under the hood and that could cause an EVAP code.

Participant

Put a new fuel cap on it 2 months ago and it still keeps coming one

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…