Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2002 Saab 9-3, 12 volt line directly from the batt

2002 Saab 9-3, 12 volt line directly from the batt

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Car Audio 2002 Saab 9-3, 12 volt line directly from the batt

• Creator
    Topic
    JoeJoe
    Participant

What is the easiest way to get a 12 volt line directly from the battery to inside on passenger side for a two-way radio?

Thanks,
      Joe

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      AaronAaron
      Participant

Your 2way needs so much amperage that you need to run a dedicated power line?
        Why not just splice into the cig lighter/12V accessory wires for power and ground?

Running a separate power line into the cabin usually involves a lot more work including checking where you’re going to drill through the firewall several times so you don’t drill into a wiring harness/break booster/anything, installing a grommet and then fishing wire.

JoeJoe
        Participant

Thanks for the reply AaronE. I am a ham radio operator and my two-way radio puts out 55 watts thus the 15 amps needed. The cigarette lighter powers off when the key is turned off. I don’t think there is an accessory position on the ignition switch to keep it on while the engine is off. … Thanks, Joe K

WayneWayne
          Participant

I’d just do the normal method, you just need to open the engine bay, look for an existing set of wires that’s coming into the firewall, preferably where you can get at easily and push your new line through there. If there’s not enough room, then you’d likely need to drill a new one next to an existing, being careful of course, grommeting, and pulling the wire through.

Yeah, any transmitting radio equipment is going to outstrip just about any existing line’s capacity outside of a cell phone. CB, ham, business, etc..

You don’t plan to use it with the engine off for more than 15-20mins at a time do you?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…