Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 Accord Coupe Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild

2003 Accord Coupe Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Accord Coupe Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild

• Creator
    Topic
    WDHewsonWDHewson
    Participant

Hi All:

I’d like to find a good procedure for rebuilding the rear brake calipers on my 2003 Accord Coupe.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

Google found me this. The rear coupe caliper looks to be about halfway down the page. I’ve never rebuilt a Honda caliper personally.

http://www.racepages.com/products/?D=ho … nda+accord

Hope this points you in the right direction.

WDHewsonWDHewson
        Participant

Beefy:

Thanks for the help. It certainly appears that the Centric CE143.40011 seal kit is the one to use.

I started to order 2 kits, but it looks like they will only ship within the US. I’m in Canada. Maybe there is a ebay seller willing to ship here.

The prices are certainly good

MattMatt
          Participant

Bah, sorry man. I didn’t notice you were in Canada, or actually look at the shipping. But it looks like if you can find the kit, it comes with the boot at least.

college mancollege man

just for kicks call the parts department at your local Honda dealership.see if they offer a rebuild kit and the price. It might
              be reasonable.Worth a shot this way your getting the right stuff. If you get a part # from the dealer you may be able to find
              a OE kit on ebay. good luck and keep us posted. C8-)

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
              Participant

Im with Eric.
                New/reman unit’s are a better idea.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

I don’t recommend rebuilding calipers especially rear ones as I often find that the piston or bore become too rusty and if you don’t address this with proper machining and replacing the proper parts your repair is not likely to be successful. Replacing them with remanufactured units is a much better option in my opinion.

WDHewsonWDHewson
                  Participant

Thanks guys.

I may well find that the bore and piston are in poor shape, and the remanufactured unit will certainly be less work.

I’ve rebuilt many brake calipers on motorcycle systems, and these are almost always aluminum bodied calipers which are much more susceptible to wet brake fluid corrosion. It is a tedious job but I don’t mind the distraction and the focus required.

This works will probably take the Accord off the road for a day or two, so I’ll get into it as the motorcycling weather improves.

WDHewsonWDHewson
                    Participant

Updating this thread.

I rebuilt the right rear caliper today. The piston was really tight in the bore. I pinched off the brake hose and disconnected the hose and got the caliper off the car. The piston threaded out of the caliper body quite easily, and the external boot, which was torn, came out easily.

The piston had light rust but cleaned up well, and the caliper bore was perfect.

The worst corrosion was where the external boot seal with the caliper body. I cleaned this with diligence but I worry about the ability of this boot to seal against the caliper body. The square section O-ring was clean and its groove was is good shape.

Reassembling the components with new seal and boot, and bleeding, was without any difficulty.

But in the final analysis, I think it is likely that sometime in the snowy and salty season, a remanufactured unit will be the correct long term remedy.

college mancollege man

Thanks for the update and the fix. C8-)

MattMatt
                        Participant

Glad you got yer ride going for now. Let us know how the rebuild works out, because I wanna know for personal use.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                          Keymaster

Thanks for your update I’m glad it worked out.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…