Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 corolla code p0304 "misfire #4 cyl"

2003 corolla code p0304 "misfire #4 cyl"

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 corolla code p0304 "misfire #4 cyl"

• Creator
    Topic
    Dave lawsonDave lawson
    Participant

found all 4 plug holes puddled with oil and when pulled, plugs where saturated. replaced all 4 plugs, oil cover gasket and pcv valve. Cleaned both battery cables and ground at transmission because of p0420 code. started the car and idled a little rough with no codes initially, then the took it on a test drive. not long after I started to drive the check eng light started flashing again. The car ran much better at high speeds up to 70 mph. When I returned with the car, in park at idle the check eng light is steady then revving the engine in park and the light begins to flash. code was the same p0304…..the p0420 code is gone. Disappointed that replacing the oil soaked plugs was not the fix..(plugs where also badly worn)…can I now swap one of the other coils with #4 to see if the code follows a different cyl?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Yes.

Dave lawsonDave lawson
        Participant

I swapped coils 3 & 4 and started the car. initially it ran rough at idle but different than before so I was hopeful the coil was bad. however after revving the engine to produce the engine code when I got down to idle again the engine died, wont restart and did not produce a code. ill give it another try before moving to another coil to get it started.

Dave lawsonDave lawson
          Participant

swapped #2 coil with #4 got, the car started and got the same code p0304. resistance checked the fuel injectors (all basically the same at 15 ohms. compression check results as follows cyl 1-4 in order 100,138,140 and 0. added a couple tablespoons of oil to #1 and 4 to the tops of the pistons and got these results #1 160 and #4 still showed 0….I added a couple more TS of oil to #4 and still, gauge showed zero compression. So obviously major surgery is needed. I triple checked #4 cyl because I do feel air coming out of the spark plug hole but nothing on the gauge and looking at the piston it is moving. so worn rings on #1 and #4 potentially has broken or bad valve??? Any constructive opinions would be appreciated. With the way the spark plugs looked (worn and oil soaked) and one cylinder with low compression and another with zero its amazing it ran at all. thanks in advance.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Suggest doing a leak down test to attempt to narrow the possible cause.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…