Menu

2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7ltr hemi

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7ltr hemi

• Creator
    Topic
    stuartstuart
    Participant

Good morning peoples. last night while driving my truck on the interstate i lost all my electrical power and the truck died on the side of the road and needed to be flat bedded home. 2 days ago i bought a new battery to replace the 6 year old battery that was in it.

my volt meter kept going crazy with reading that never got to half way up the gauge, and sometimes my “check gauge” light came on and my volt meter was down at zero. this kept up for a while with the gauge reading erratically never getting to half way. i took the truck back to the store and had them check the voltage in the new battery which was ok, and also had the alternator checked which was also good.

My question is this……is there a common ground problem with these 03 rams that would explain all the power being lost? If so, what do i need to do to fix the problem.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

My first thought would be to check all power and ground connections to ensure they are all clean and tight.
        Next would be to carefully inspect the battery cables for corrosion / damage under the insulation.

stuartstuart
        Participant

Hey nightflyer. thank you for your reply. The cables are clean and tight, the one ground cable that runs from the battery to the frame is also clean and tight. the other ground cable that runs from the battery down to the starter i can’t see because it runs behind the alternator. I’d have to crawl under the truck to inspect the ground cable thats attached to the starter. Right now, i just got back from the parts store with a NEW replacement battery and connected it, started the truck up and the volt meter went 1/3rd up then right back down to zero again. I have an appointment next Monday morning to bring the truck to an auto electric shop to have the entire electrical system checked out. If theres a problem, they’ll find it and fix it. in the meantime i’m afraid to drive this truck anywhere in fear i’ll get stuck again.

Stuart.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…