Menu

2003 Nissan Altima Idle Relearn

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Nissan Altima Idle Relearn

• Creator
    Topic
    DrivewayAlDrivewayAl
    Participant

Hey guys, I think I may have blown this. Have a 2003 Altima and decided to clean the throttle body I know, it was a mistake. Anyway the idle is up and down in park and I did try the relearn procedure. Did not work. It was key on/off 3X, pump acc.5X and then hold for 20 sec. Does anyone know any other way to reset the idle or do I need to replace throttle body. At a loss. Thx.

Driveway Al

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Louie MoscatelLouie Moscatel
      Participant

This procedure can only be done with the SES light off and all codes cleared.

1) Drive the car to “warm up” temperature. Make sure your idle is close to 700 rpm.
        2) Turn the car ignition key to “OFF”
        3) Wait ten seconds
        4) Turn the key to “ON” (not start)
        5) Wait three seconds.
        6) Fully press and release the gas pedal 5 times within five seconds.
        7) Count seven ‘steamboat’ seconds from last of the five releases.
        8) Fully press the gas pedal and hold down. Within ten seconds the “Service Engine Soon” light should begin to blink.
        9) Wait another ten seconds (while still holding the gas pedal) and the “Service Engine Soon” light should stop blinking.
        10) As soon as it stops blinking, release the pedal, start the car and check the idle. You should be starting the car within 3 seconds of the engine light turning solid.
        11) Let the car idle at 700 rpm or so for about 25 seconds, rev the engine a few times and then let it return to idle.

JimJim
        Participant

wow glad i work on GM’s where you just command the relearn with the scan tool and done.

Louie MoscatelLouie Moscatel
          Participant

[quote=”derbycrazy” post=39499]wow glad i work on GM’s where you just command the relearn with the scan tool and done.[/quote]
            This is the DIY procedure. I’m sure if I worked at Nissan I’d have a nice scan too that would do the same.

DanielDaniel
            Participant

I don’t understand what the point of that post was.

DanielDaniel
              Participant

If I were you I would just get the codes scanned. This will save you time and most likely money. Most major parts stores will do it for free. From the info I have it sounds like it may be an air idle control (or nissan equivalent)

DrivewayAlDrivewayAl
                Participant

Well guys, here is what finally happened. I must have tried the relearn procedure about 20X. Cleared the codes, got the CEL to blink but in the end I had the same erratic idle. So i sucked it up and bought a reman. throttle body “$230.0” and put it in. Same thing, I tried the relearn procedure and still did not work. I ended up taking it to my friends garage and he used his snap-on scan tool for the relearn and it worked great. The car purrs like a kitten now. Hard lessen learned about cleaning these drive by wire throttles. Stay clear and do not touch them. Thanks.

Driveway

college mancollege man

actually you can clean them. just don’t remove the battery
                    cable or unplug the throttle body. Once these Nissans lose
                    power and the throttle plate is moved. they lose the memory
                    and thats were the idle relearn comes in.I wish I would have
                    caught this post earlier.could have saved you from buying that
                    TB.:(

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

Next time have a friend sit in the vehicle with the key on and work the throttle via the pedal to do the cleaning. This will prevent having to relearn it when you’re done. As pointed out don’t unplug it or remove it. Not that you will be doing that again anytime soon. 🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…