Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 Suzuki esteem 1.8 liter Starter not engaging flex plate

2003 Suzuki esteem 1.8 liter Starter not engaging flex plate

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Suzuki esteem 1.8 liter Starter not engaging flex plate

• Creator
    Topic
    Larry D NasonLarry D Nason
    Participant

I was trying to start the car and it started to crank heard a clunking sound now the starter just sounds and doesn’t engage flex plate it’s a new starter I even took it off and had it tested does anybody have any thoughts

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      hondaguy453hondaguy453
      Participant

You have to post the year, make, and model of the vehicle so we can offer more help.

Participant

My apologies. It’s a 2003 Suzuki esteem

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
          Participant

If it is a manual transmission try push starting it and switching it off then try cranking using the starter and see if the starter motor catches the flywheel teeth. There is a chance a chunk of the flywheel teeth has been broken off.

Participant

It is an automatic. I turned the motor by hand and still not engaging. No visible damage to flex plate

hondaguy453hondaguy453
              Participant

Did the starter come with any shims? Did your old one have a shim?

Participant

The old starter did have a shim. installed the new one with said shim. And I tried it without the shim. It sounds like the Bendix is hitting the side of the flex plate.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                  Participant

So it sounds like it makes contact, but barely? Maybe pull the starter out and bench test it. See how the pinion gear reacts.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…