Menu

2004 accord wont pass emmisions

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 accord wont pass emmisions

• Creator
    Topic
    hondaslave1342hondaslave1342
    Participant

hello all,,,i have a 2004 accord 2.4L EX with 271,000 miles…i just purchased this car and went to get it smogged…it failed because the readiness monitiors were NOT READY…when i got home i pulled to codes with my scanner=CAT CONVERTOR, EVAP…..i understand that i have to perform certain drive cycles and check again…did that..now when i check all that pops up is EVAP NOT READY….no CAT….my question is if something is wrong with the EVAP system would the check engine light be on?,,,,,,how to check EVAP…..thanks…BTW= a new convertor was put on the day before i purchased the vehicle……

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Sang Kimskim3544
      Participant

Not ready means you did not put enough miles on the car after the computer reset. Make sure that drive the car at least 100 miles before taking the car for the emission test. It takes several weeks of driving to get everything into ready state (or get check engine light)

college mancollege man

heres a little reading for youC8-)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7261

Participant

checked the link,,thanks,,,i have drove 700 miles and still not ready…i looked at the gas cap..when i remove its not under any kind of pressure…so switched with my 01 accord and see if that helps,,,my 01 has a honda cap, and hissed when i removed cap it,,,,,

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

It’s not just miles driven but also the driving conditions that are required for the test to run, you can drive hundreds of miles on the highway but the drive cycle may require a mix of city and highway driving as well as time spent sitting, some evap tests are run after the vehicle has shut off and sits for a given amount of time. I believe there is a way to ‘force’ the monitor to run but I think the only way to do that is with a factory scan tool.

Participant

thanks eric for the post…i have done all the drive cycles accordingly…and still EVAP NOT READY>>>,,this sucks because i cant register the car until this clears,,question=if i had a problem with EVAP system, would i have a check engine light on?…

Keymaster

Not unless it registered the drive cycle, it won’t set a code till the drive cycle has been run. You might consider calling Honda to see if they can force the test to run with their scan equipment if you can’t get the cycle to complete.

Participant

well,, it passed,,,,i changed fuel cap,,dont know if that helped,,thanks all..

Keymaster

If it works it works, thanks for the update.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…