Menu

2004 dodge stratus the p0507

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 dodge stratus the p0507

• Creator
    Topic
    Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
    Participant

So yup p0507 code came up a few days after I changed the air filter, oil, coolant, and the transmission fluid/gasket/filter. The code is idle is higher then expected. Possible defects are: vacuum leak, dirty throttle body, iac motor, or iac valve. It’s weird I knew I was going to have to fix this since the vehicle was running at 2k rpm untill you put it in gear plus it would go down to 1.5k every so often and it was doing this before I even touched the vehicle. Why would the check engine light come on now and not before?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

What is the engine idle RPM when you are getting this code?

-Karl

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
        Participant

Well when it was checked the car was off. Key was only turned to the on position. The check engine light stays on and doesn’t turn off.

A toyotakarlIts me

OK… What is the idle speed currently…

-Karl

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
            Participant

2k rpm even after warm up

A toyotakarlIts me

Check for vacuum leaks….. Also use your scanner to check for elevated LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) above 10%…

If you don’t find this (I suspect you won’t, since there is no P0171)… I would suspect a dirty throttle body or bad/dirty Idle Air Control Valve. The vehicle is having trouble running and is trying to stay running… It increases the idle to “stay alive”….

Let us know how it turns out…

-Karl

WayneWayne
                Participant

We it me, I’d likely just yank the negative battery terminal, pull the TB and MAF, and clean both with appropriately named cleaners for each first (using a clean rag for the throttle body). May come across something that was missed in doing this in addition to cleaning these components out.

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
                  Participant

I was thinking of just taking the air intake off and duct taping a walmart smog machine to it and walla…instant understanding how cool fake fog looks coming out of an engine. EL DIABLO CAR lol.

Seriously though, I will clean the maf, check for leaks, see if my neighbor has his scanner that is better and do stuff like fuel trim and check the long term. On the note of trust but verify I do believe it’s above the specified 10% rule and trying to run rich if it is a vacuum leak but again will verify. For the cleaning the tb I will agree to disagree on that. I’m not experienced enough nor have the ability in my garage to fix any mistake I might do to it if I were to pull the tb off. I would probably just spray some cleaner on it and call it good. Thank you both for helping.

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”Sparhawk28″ post=87242]I was thinking of just taking the air intake off and duct taping a walmart smog machine to it and walla…instant understanding how cool fake fog looks coming out of an engine. EL DIABLO CAR lol.

Seriously though, I will clean the maf, check for leaks, see if my neighbor has his scanner that is better and do stuff like fuel trim and check the long term. On the note of trust but verify I do believe it’s above the specified 10% rule and trying to run rich if it is a vacuum leak but again will verify. For the cleaning the tb I will agree to disagree on that. I’m not experienced enough nor have the ability in my garage to fix any mistake I might do to it if I were to pull the tb off. I would probably just spray some cleaner on it and call it good. Thank you both for helping.[/quote]

Smoke needs to be pushed through a vacuum line… There is usually a place to hook up a vacuum line with a special fitting… Since you don’t have a smoke machine you can use another input…(a vacuum brake booster hose is a nice big one)… I don’t recommend the party fog machine to check vacuum leaks… (Exhaust leaks through the tailpipe…Yes… Vacuum system… No)… The PSI through through the vacuum system has to be a low psi or you can do damage…

If you need a scanner (and it sounds like you do)… You can get a Harbor Freight Scanner which works pretty well for under $70 with an easily obtainable online coupon…

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=scanner

Cleaning the throttle body is best done with a spray carb cleaner… I do not advise removing it, especially with a throttle by wire system…. Your choice if you want to do this or not…

Trust me, I have read your posts and I am well aware of your capabilities, so I wouldn’t ask you to do anything that would cause greater problems….

Good to see you are interested in learning….

All the best,

-Karl

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
                      Participant

Thank you Karl and that scanner is now on my wish list before I move to England. How everything is looking too if I get all the items on my wish list and get out of the job I have now(since their kicking out 25k people) I might be trying to go to school for this type of job. Maybe uti or something like that. My dad is trying to talk me into embry riddle for aviation. I will see but my focus is more towards cars and motorcycles. On top of all that I like helping my friends learn how easy it is just getting under the hood and doing simple things with your own hands it can be. So far 100% satisfaction lol. Can you tell me what kind of jobs a technician can get I would be kind of lost since I have had the same job for the last 9 years.

A toyotakarlIts me

OK… I am assuming you are an Enlisted SSgt or TSgt in the U.S. Air Force since the only U.S. military base in England is Mildenhall and your father desires you to get a degree from Embry Riddle (an Aviation based school)…. An Overseas tour usually is a 3 year Additional Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) when it is an accompanied tour, so there is some job security…

If you were to go into the repair field I would recommend Avionics, Aviation tech(A&P) or Diesel Tech…. Depending on where your skills are… Maybe re-up for an MOS change to one of these career fields (at least the first two should be available…)

This may upset some, but that is where the money is… If you want to work on Gas cars, Gas vehicle Techs are treated like they are a dime a dozen and you don’t need to read many stories in the Technician section to hear about how the industry treats its people…

Don’t worry too much about being RIF’d but have a backup plan… You are almost halfway to retirement, and a 20 year military retirement is the last good deal…

-Karl

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                          Participant

Since your idle is about the same at all times I think you IAC has died.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

If you strike out looking for vacuum leaks I would look toward the IAC itself. You might try tapping on it as the engine runs to see if the idle changes. If it does, then you might try cleaning it first. If that doesn’t work, you might need to replace it. Defiantly look for vacuum leaks and check out the MAF before you start replacing parts though. More info on solving idle issues can be found here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-idle-problems

Keep us posted and good luck if you end up in England.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…