Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2004 Ford Focus Ignition lock problem

2004 Ford Focus Ignition lock problem

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 Ford Focus Ignition lock problem

• Creator
    Topic
    James WilsonJames Wilson
    Participant

Hello, I’ve got a 2004 Ford Focus with the dreaded ‘ignition lock cylinder stopped turning’ problem. Apparently it’s very common. I know that in order to remove the cylinder you need to turn the key to the ON position. Problem is the key won’t turn it anymore. I watched a few YouTube videos where they drill out a sliding part near the front of the cylinder. That, however did not fix my issue and the key still does not turn. I was very careful not to go too deep and not interfere with any moving parts. (I’m good with my hands and work with tools all day, however I’m not a professional mechanic) I called a few locksmiths and they all want more than the car is worth to fix. I really don’t want to scrap a perfectly good running car because of such a stupid problem. I don’t know where to go from here. I don’t want to drill farther into the actual tumblers without some guidance. I know it would have to be drilled out one way or another so I’d like to do it myself so I can save the car. Getting new keys cut and cloned at the locksmith and putting in the new cylinder is easy as pie. Just need to get the current broken cylinder out without causing more harm than good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…