Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2004 Honda Odyssey Rear Sliding Door Will Not Open

2004 Honda Odyssey Rear Sliding Door Will Not Open

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 Honda Odyssey Rear Sliding Door Will Not Open

• Creator
    Topic
    Dave ReuterMechmann
    Participant

I’m working on my son’s 2004 Honda Odyssey (similar models 1999-2004). The cable on the door opening mechanism broke. The door was then manually shut and locked. Now, no matter what you do, the door will not open. If you try to open with the button or door handle the motor turns and you hear a bunch of “whirring” noises and then can push the door open to the first unlock position. But no matter what you do after that, the door will not budge open electrically or manually past what I’m guessing is the second safety catch.

I took off the sliding door inner panel and both of the cables from the door handle to the latching mechanism worked properly. I tried putting a long screwdriver into the mechanism and prying on whatever levers I could find, but nothing seemed to work.

I thought I read that the door motor cable must also pull on the latch for it to work. I saw Eric’s video from October 2014 on his 2001 Odyssey, ( https://www.ericthecarguy.com/body-videos/417-sliding-door-repair-2001-honda-odyssey#faqnoanchor ) on how to get to the door opening motor and cable.

My next step will be to remove the rear inner panels and then try to pull on the broken end of the cable to see if the door will release. (I’m hoping I can get the rear inner panels off without the rear door being opened. I noticed in Eric’s video that he had the door open to remove rubber weather stripping and to pull out the panel at the base of the door.

Can anyone tell me if I’m on the right track or is there some other “trick” way to get the rear door open with the above situation.

I think once I get the door opened, I can then replace whatever parts are broken.

Thank you for any feedback.

Dave R.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave ReuterMechmann
      Participant

Problem solved! The rollers had completely worn away which caused the door to jam and the cable to break. By making sure the door latch was in the open position and by tugging on the piece of cable left on the roller from the outside, the door finally sprung open. The repair after that was easy. Install a new set of rollers purchased from the local Honda Dealer, trim off the remaining cable and convert it to a manual door. Works great and can be converted later back to automatic with the purchase of a cable kit or a new (or used) door motor that comes with the cables.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…