Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2004 wrx not sure whats wrong, transmission noise

2004 wrx not sure whats wrong, transmission noise

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 wrx not sure whats wrong, transmission noise

• Creator
    Topic
    Abdulwahab BastakiAbdulwahab Bastaki
    Participant

( sorry for long post , was trying to provide as much information as possible)
      hello , i have been following ETCG for a while , mostly watch ETCG1’s videos. its my first time posting here and have a question about a problem im facing with my subaru

car info ; 2004 subaru impreza wrx sedan with a jdm motor swap in it(ej205) , manual transmission. have around 40-50k on the swap and around 125k on the body , transmission was not changed during swap.

the issue that im having is that i hear a weird noise when i left of the gas while cruising, as soon as i apply a tiny bit of pressure on the gas pedal the sound goes away , but if i have zero pressure on the gas pedal there is a weird noise. with the noise i can feel vibrations on the stick ,
      https://youtu.be/reOhKxnr08o – if you listen closely to when i let off you should be able to hear it befor i go back on the gas ( wasnt an open road and was trying to do my best with getting the noise and staying safe and driving right )
      that is going in normal speed , normal rpm and everything , the issue doesn’t occur only when im off the gas pedal.

other than that the transmission shifts properly and everything is fine , sometimes it doesn’t slot into reverse properly and have to retry , and 5th gear sometimes feels locked out , ( i have never driven stick befor this car)

i took it to a shop and the mechanic test drove it , and said the throw out barring need to be replaced …

reasons for concern:
      1. is that this is my first time using this store and i dont know how good they are , im an international student and this is the first time i own a car where im currently living(Milwaukee ,Wisconsin) ,so i dont really have a goto shop , and this store was recommended by an acquaintance.
      2. what i have read about throw out barrings in forums and articles and the videos ive watch , suggest throw-out barring issues occur during shifting and when using the clutch , and my problem only happens when you are normally cruising and let off the gas pedal.

he suggested that i would get a whole clutch kit instead of just the throw out barring, but when i asked about getting a flywheel too he said no need.

my questions are :

1. can the throw out bearing be the cause behind the noise that im hearing ?if not what else do you think it can be?
      2. should i get a flywheel while im at it , since im already paying for the labor for a clutch replacement? any suggestions of anything else that i should get done/ replaced/ checked since hes taking the transmission out and all that.? P.S. : i have very little experience with manual transmissions so i might be beating it harder and normal ( nothing to bad) or riding the clutch more than normal ( nothing to bad).
      3. he said hes gonna charge me 350$ for labor and is gonna need a day or two to finish the car.. does everything sound about right? (not sure if he is over estimating the time it take because its AWD or that he is not planning to work on the car alone / instantly)
      4. Exedy Oem clutch replacement kit from rallysportdirect is the kit that im currently looking at , but they dont have a flywheel so im not sure where to get one if needed…any suggestions would be appreciate if not ill keep looking until i find an oem flywheel replacement 😀

thank you for reading and any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated , have a good day 😀

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      CharlesCharles
      Participant

You are correct. Not likely to be a throw out bearing unless you hear the noise while depressing the clutch. It is not supposed to be used when not pressing the clutch petal. Most likely differential or transmission noise. If you are a DIY, jack up one of the front wheels on a level surface (don’t get under it} and with it in gear, move the wheel that is off the ground by hand and check for play or noise.

Participant

after the test drive i told him to look at the car and see if anything else needed fixing or so , he told me to come back in 2 hours , so i did , he lifted the car , and tried to do what you said to the front wheels and said they all good , and then check the fluids and said the car is solid…

CharlesCharles
          Participant

Sorry, I did not initially catch that it was AWD. You said it had an engine swap. How many miles on the driveline? Did the problem start all at once of get worse over time?

Participant

[quote=”Jotmon1″ post=184348]Sorry, I did not initially catch that it was AWD. You said it had an engine swap. How many miles on the driveline? Did the problem start all at once of get worse over time?[/quote]

around 125k on everything expect the motor , motor has around 45-50k ,

i just bought the car , and i dont know if the issue was there initially or not , but i started to notice it recently , i showed the previous owner he said it might be the differential then went on to saying it might be because when you let of the gas the engine is no longer pulling the transmission. instead the transmission is pulling , something like that , not sure what he meant exactly ….

and the problem that i have only occurs when i let of the gas ,,

CharlesCharles
              Participant

Is the noise you are hearing loud enough for you to record with your phone? Could be just a little play in the differential(s) or transmission that would not be worth repairing. The way I understand it, the 2004 WRX adjusts torque between the drive wheels electronically. Normally 35% to the front wheels and 65% to the rear. The applied torque is adjusted electronically to apply the more to the wheel with the most traction. The details on how this is accomplished is beyond my skill set.

Participant

i think ifs not loud enough to record , but i will give it a try in a few hours and see if its recordable , if i voice record on my iphone how do i share it here?

Participant

Could the mechanic have ment the polit barring? And mistakenly side throwout barring and it didnt matter since they all come together in a clutch kit?

How about input/output shaft? Is that relavent? ,,,

Either way ill try to get a recording as soon as possible

CharlesCharles
                    Participant

Again, the pilot bearing like the throw out bearing is only active when the clutch is depressed. It does not move when the clutch is engaged. I would check the easy items first like universal joints, cv joints, etc. Would you describe the noise as whine, roar, grind, rub, scrape, rumble or some other descriptive? Noise does not enlighten.

Participant

https://youtu.be/reOhKxnr08o this is the video i took today and the sound , i know its really short but you can listen closely to it , as soon as i let off , i honestly dont know what that type of noise is called , hopefully the video is good enough , you might have to listen to it closely and a few times to pickup what im saying …

CharlesCharles
                        Participant

My hearing is that of a near 70 year old man but sounds like a rattle to me. Doesn’t seem to as pronounced as low speed. May be that you have a motor mount issue and related exhaust or heat shied rattle. See if your mechanic will support all four wheels and try to duplicate the sound by running the car suspended to isolate the area making the sound.

Participant

the owner said something about it having and exhaust leak or something like that and gave me know gaskets and a full exhaust with it ,,, and today morning when i started the car i can see exhaust smoke from the engine bay , or atleast it looked and smelled like it , i think it might be the downpipe area? im not sure but after the car warmed up it was gone ,,, there was oil under my car from another car and it was rainning all night and was about to snow a little and mist more , so im not sure if thats related to the smoke or not but yah ….

sorry for the long explanation trying to add everything but what im trying to say is can it be part of the exhaust issue ? he said that there was a leak

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…