Menu

2005 Accord Aftermarket Rotors

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums 2005 Accord Aftermarket Rotors

• Creator
    Topic
    NoName nameNoName
    Participant

Greetings,

Is there a consensus as to what’s the best aftermarket rotors? Can anyone recommend a good brand? Need for rotors that will stop the car and be quiet. Not looking for colored, flashy rotors with LED lights, if you know what I mean 😛

Thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RobRob
      Participant

Rotors don’t have much direct impact on brake performance unless they are slotted and drilled – a true ‘performance’ application. For the rest of us, typical rotors they are generally best judged on a weigh scale. Good quality rotors will weigh more than average or poor quality rotors. They also have ‘more meat on them’, generally will last more than one set of pads if they’re not warped. The ‘extra meat’ results in enough density that they may be thick enough to be cut on a brake lathe and be like new for a second set of new pads.

Brake pads on the other hand will have a tremendous impact on brake performance.

Semi Metallics provide excellent stopping power, are inexpensive, are short lived, produce more than their fair share of brake dust and tend to be a bit noisy – watch the opening sequence of ‘The Transporter’, pay special attention to the BMW and you’ll know what I mean.

Ceramic brake pads have good stopping power, are a bit more money, long lasting and not as dusty. I’ve had issues with Chrysler products and squealing with Ceramics, usually resolved by taking the hard edges off of the pads, but I digress.

Parts stores will generally list there products as first line, second line and so on rather than by brand.

A ‘proper’ auto parts store (ie: established independant) will sort through the inherent quality issues / brand selection for you – they don’t like warrantying parts any more than you like doing the job twice.

First line products will generally be name brand, may include little extras – spring kits for brake pads would be a good example.

Second line products will usually not be a name brand, probably a house brand – likely manufactured in a name brand facility and may include a little extra like spring kits.

Driving environment usually dictates what grade (first, second line) of product rather than a brand name.

For my wife that’s rust belt city driving. Friends, family and my junk get second line ceramic pads with second line rotors. By the time hard city stops, road de-icing brine and some miles on cottage country highways have killed the pads there’s usually nothing left of the rotors but memories.

For my 8000 Lb service van its’ first line semi metallics, first line rotors and some detailed prep work.

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
        Participant

Centric brand are quite popular, not very expensive, and are available slotted and drilled; great bang for the buck. On the upper end of the scale, there’s Brembo. Quality material, but higher price.

IMO, I would not recommend ceramic pads. Semi-metallic pads will give best performance and quietest braking. While they may not last as long as ceramic, they are usually the recommended application. Semi-metallic pads should last 40-50k miles with good rotors and frequently lubricated guide pins (I usually do this at every oil change, only takes 5-10 minutes per wheel, using a liberal application of silicone paste). Ceramic pads give a stiffer pedal and may contribute to fatigue in the foot and leg in heavy stop-n-go traffic.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…