Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2005 CR-V: Excessive play in the CV shaft?

2005 CR-V: Excessive play in the CV shaft?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2005 CR-V: Excessive play in the CV shaft?

• Creator
    Topic
    Ron PierceyRon Piercey
    Participant

Loved the video on replacing the ball joint on Eric’s Honda Element; great timing for me. Worked fantasmic!!! Replaced them ON THE CAR. However, I noticed (while I was in there) that the CV shaft (bucket) has a little play (maybe 1/16″) where it enters the transmission. In other words I can grab the bucket end and wiggle it – ever so slightly where the splined shaft goes into the transmission. This is on the right (passenger) side. I couldn’t really detect any play in the left side (however I couldn’t really get as good of a handle on it). I have a wobble (vibration) upon acceleration that feels (to me) like it’s coming from the right side. I replaced the (bushings worn out) control arms and the ball joints; only to discover this when inspecting the CV axle – after the vibration did NOT go away with the for-mentioned repairs. Should there be any play here? I’m suspecting the CV joints (axle) needs replaced but I hesitate if I have bigger problems; a bearing in the transmission? Thoughts?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      willy johnsonwaleed
      Participant

I have a 2013 kia, and not really vibration but noise coming from the cv axle. Dealership says its fine, but im reluctant to believe them because the warranty is almost coming to an end. Its normal to have a little play in the cv joints, but when you have vibration, and you have ruled out other issues such as tires or rims, it could very well be likely cv axle is going bad.

Ron PierceyRon Piercey
        Participant

Good info, but, I’m actually asking about where the “bucket” meets the transmission, not the actual CV joint.

willy johnsonwaleed
          Participant

I dont think there should be much if any play where the shaft seats.

Jerome RichardsJerome Richards
            Participant

I replaced the passenger CV joint on a 2003 CRV and did not notice any play on that side just a little wiggle enough to get your pry bar in there to disengage the axle . Are you sure you didn’t pull it out when you were changing the control bushing and didn’t get it seated back in the transaxle . I bought a new car down axle from eBay $55 delivered and it has worked great for almost a year now .

Ron PierceyRon Piercey
              Participant

Thanks JerrySFL, replaced the C/V axle shafts (both sides). Shimmy is gone so I’m happy. I’m guessing the play (I was referring to) was normal; not in and out play but wiggle-around-in-the-hole play. I could find no specs on it and many who said it was normal. But problem solved; on to the next!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…