Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2005 Jeep grand Cherokee with Electrical issue!

2005 Jeep grand Cherokee with Electrical issue!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2005 Jeep grand Cherokee with Electrical issue!

• Creator
    Topic
    Daniel FletcherDaniel Fletcher
    Participant

—FIXED–

Hello Fellow Mechanics and do it your-selfers, I am working on my friends Jeep and it “blew” the ignition coil for cylinder #1 as well as a 25 Amp Fuse We replaced the Coil and fuse and started it up and it ran for about 1 minute and 20 seconds before Popping the same 25 amp fuse and blowing up the same coil on cylinder #1. we tried again thinking the new coil was defective and shorted internally and again after a minute of running it happened again same fuse same coil… My friend installed a new Engine Computer and a third coil and fuse thinking it was the computer shorting out… and the third coil and fuse Blew shortly after running it for one minute. if you can tell me if we are doing something wrong or have any advice about how to fix it any help would be appreciated!

We are thinking the harness is shorting out and we want to attempt to Bypass the wiring harness with a new Wire from the Coil to the Engine Computer but we can’t find the correct Wiring Diagram on Google…

2005 Jeep grand Cherokee Limited
      Milage: 130,000
      4×4 automatic transmission
      5.7 L Hemi MFI

-Edit there are also 2 DTC’s pulled

P2302 – Ignition Coil 1 A Secondary Circut insignificant Ionization
      P2305 – Ignition Coil 1 B Secondary Circut insignificant Ionization

-Edit 2

We already Replaced the Spark Plugs and wires as well as the Boot on the Coil as well..
      (2 plugs per cylinder)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RobRob
      Participant

I would check the spark plug gap and how the spark plugs are… me personally they are cheap I would just replace them might be one shorting it self out….. now is he replacing the boot too(from the coil to the sparl plug)…if not I would deffrlly replace that might be shorting it self out…. other then that… I would try a compression test and see if there is any thing weird about that causing it tp leak past the plugs and into the area where the coil is blowing the coil by pressure…. unless anyone else has ideas…

Participant

He Replaced the Spark Plugs / plug Wires / and coil Boot already… forgot to add that sorry….

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

My thought is the coil is being commanded to constantly fire causing it to burn itself up.
            I suggest you check the command signal that orders the coil to fire and see if it is switching as it should.

Participant

[quote=”nightflyr” post=173004]My thought is the coil is being commanded to constantly fire causing it to burn itself up.
              I suggest you check the command signal that orders the coil to fire and see if it is switching as it should.[/quote]

Wouldn’t the wiring Harness being Shorted to ground cause that problem? or could it be the computer acting up from a factory defect.

Participant

Wouldn’t the wiring Harness being Shorted to ground cause that problem? or could it be the computer acting up from a factory defect.
                Not necessarily…
                You’ll need a wiring diagram to see what triggers the command to the coil to fire..
                Could be a crank sensor, or connection.
                Do you happen to know if your tach is moving while cranking the engine?
                I don’t know the specifics on your make and model.
                But is something you really should look at.

Should look at this:

Participant

I bypassed the Ignition Coil, to PCM with new Wire, fixed the one Engine Code and the 4th new coil on cylinder one did not blow up this time after letting it idle for 10 minutes and then test driving for 10 minutes the fuse did not blow up as well… but now the one code still exists…

P2035 Ignition coil 2 Secondary Circut Insignificant Inoization / secondary Circut Fault…

could this be a sign that the #2 coil is going bad? and should I replace it even though the engine is running fine…

Participant
                    Participant

[quote=”nightflyr” post=173222]May want to read this:
                      http://bestride.com/engine-trouble-codes/P2035%5B/quote%5D

I just noticed I typed it in wrong… 😛 thats what i get for typing really fast without looking… it is P2305 not the previous one…

Participant

What causes the P2305 code?

Corroded, intermittent, or poor electrical connection

Ignition coil 2 that has failed

Open or short in the wiring harness for ignition coil 2

Spark plug that has failed

MikeMike
                        Participant

Could it be something really stupid, like a bad block-to-chassis grounding strap, or the connections on the strap?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…