Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2005 Toyota Corolla with new clutch making noise

2005 Toyota Corolla with new clutch making noise

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2005 Toyota Corolla with new clutch making noise

• Creator
    Topic
    sirofsirssirofsirs
    Participant

I just had new clutch installed in my 2005 Corolla (included flywheel resurfacing, changed gear fluid etc). I’ve put about 750 miles on the car since the install. Pretty much immediately I noticed a chattering noise while in 5th gear around 2000-2500 RPM whenever I was applying any kind of load to the transmission (i.e. going up a slight grade or just accelerating). The chattering can be heard the loudest while in 5th gear. I can hear it a little bit in 4, and hardly at all in any other gear. The noise only really occurs at that RPM range. If I’m above 2,500 it goes away. However I have noticed that when I’m decelerating by coasting in gear, when it’s in that RPM range I can faintly hear the ticking/chattering. I have no noticed any slipping of the clutch at all. I’ve been going easy on the clutch ever since the install to allow break in. Most of my driving is on back roads/around town type driving. Today I noticed if while slowly accelerating and its making the noise, if I gently start to press in the clutch, right before the clutch fully releases (and the engine revs), the noise goes away.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
      Matt

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
      Participant

It could be a spring is loose in the clutch disc. Check out the noise the clutch disc is making at about 56 seconds into this video. The springs are there to absorb some of the vibration of the engine.

sirofsirssirofsirs
        Participant

Actually yes, that could very well be the sound. Here is actually a video I made the other night. You can hear the sound in the video.

If that were the issue, do I need to worry about any kind of failure? Could it slowly go away as miles accumulate on the clutch? To be honest its annoying as hell, only because I know its there and I constantly listen to it. But like I mentioned before, I don’t feel anything adverse, just hear it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Matt

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
          Participant

Around 3000 rpm is where an inline four vibrates the most – well, that is my experience. Before condemning the clutch you might want to look under at other things that had to come off to pull the transmission. Also, I think of the exhaust and all the shields the piping now comes with. Maybe something failed to be tightened or is rattling or hitting. Another thing that could make this noise is a slight exhaust leak at the manifold.

If it is the disc it shouldn’t make that noise and it is not going to get better. It may be pretty hard to know for sure without pulling the clutch. So, do you want to put up with it and chance damage later (it could come apart or eject a spring) or go through what it takes to have it replaced and find out it is actually okay? Don’t you love it?

sirofsirssirofsirs
            Participant

Yeah…its pretty great. Alright well this weekend I need to change a balljoint, so while I have it up I’ll check around the transmission to see if there is anything loose etc.

Luckly a buddy that owns a garage did the work for me and he told me if I was having issues he’d replace the clutch if need be no charge.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and I’ll let you know what I find out.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Honestly clutches slip in higher gears before lower gears. That said, perhaps you got a bad pressure plate or something. Did you get a name brand kit? If not, it could be your parts that are letting you down here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-transmission-problems

More information in the above article. Keep us posted.

Steve JacksonSteve Jackson
                Participant

Define resurfacing. Was it machined or done with a scotch brite cookie. If your flywheel got damaged in a clutch failure, it’s possible that it isn’t flat enough to grip properly if resurfaced by hand.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                  Participant

The OP’s complaint concerns noise after clutch install, not slipping.

Steve JacksonSteve Jackson
                    Participant
                      sirofsirssirofsirs
                      Participant

The clutch was a Duralast clutch kit.

The flywheel was resurfaced a machine shop.

The clutch isn’t slipping that I’ve noticed (by either RPM gauge), it’s strictly a noise.

I will check through the links posted and give an update if anything is figured out. I spent a few hours this past weekend under the vehicle looking for loose heat shields etc and didn’t find anything.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

Honestly if you think about it, resurfacing the flywheel has little to no effect on the placement of the pressure plate and clutch. Since the pressure plate bolts directly to the flywheel, you can machine it all day and the clearance will be the same.

That said, I was also under the impression that it was slipping, as you put ‘chattering’ in your description of the problem. This is something I normally associate with slipping or improper clutch engagement. Sorry for the mix up.

As for noises, it’s the same drill. You’ll likely have to remove the transmission and inspect the parts to find the source of the noise. I’ve been down this road. It usually ends in the same place, which is the transmissions coming back out if you want answers.

Keep us posted.

Alejandro MartinezAlejandro Martinez
                          Participant

My car makes that same exact noise but whenever I let the clutch go, even on idle is when I hear it the most but whenever I barely press on the clutch or fully press it, the noise disappears.

Majed AlmorabeeMajed Almorabee
                            Participant

Have you figure out what was the issue with your corolla?
                              I have the exact same issue

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…