Menu

2006 BMW 325I

• Creator
    Topic
    JaimeJaime
    Participant

So this is what I’m using as an introduction to European cars.
      My past experience is minor, I have a few hundred hours in a shop my step-father works at.
      Not as much wrench time as I would like but I decided and hopefully will not regret starting my personal project of building up this BMW I purchased recently.

My dilemma so far;

So I recently moved to Hawaii, and first thing I noticed was that the roads here are absolutely atrocious. I see multiple suspension and brake maintenance being the norm here.
      My plans are to start small with a few suspension upgrades first. and ditching these aftermarket rims that the previous owner has installed.
      I’ll post pictures and progress as I move along.

Hopefully I won’t be too slow in progress I’m projecting atleast 8 months worth of work depending on weather or not my funds allow it.

My first step into my venture will be upgrading my stock suspension to give me a more sporty feel.

I don’t exactly know where to being but I hope that with enough research and trips to the local European car shops I can get directed in the right way.(as well as some helpful information here)

1) Coilover suspension.
      – I hope this will eliminate my problem with the roads causing my wheels to constantly rub at bumps here and there especially when under the load of multiple passengers.

2) Brake upgrade.
      – again I don’t know where to begin, I’m hoping some brembo calipers all around along with a decent set of pads + rotors will do the trick.

3) Engine rebuild or start slowly adding on performance parts.
      – Its a high mileage mainland highway miles. Right now its stilling at around 179k+
      -I fear that just going straight for upgrades is not the path to take, especially with those miles.
      -Since I’m new to the european cars and I doubt I’d have the funds to purchase all the necessary special tools to complete the works I’m going to go get some quotes around town see if thats even an option.
      -based on this quote, I’ll determine(or ask for further advice) on venturing forth.
      **Since we’re on an island I doubt parts will come cheap or the labor. If it turns out too costly I might try to use it as a trade to a older model BMW.(I hardly see any E90s here, mostly E30s and 46s)

Anyway, thats all for now. Wish me luck and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Maxwell FloydMaxwell Floyd
      Participant

Have you considered purchasing a repair manual? It can be really helpful for parts and repairs. Good luck on the car.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…