Menu

2006 Ford Fusion 3.0 V6 Valve cover

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2006 Ford Fusion 3.0 V6 Valve cover

• Creator
    Topic
    Brian MericaBrian
    Participant

I was driving my car to work the other day and as I came to a stop at a traffic light I noticed a rough idle, loss of power and a flashing check engine light. I called a friend of mine who is a retired mechanic to look it over. He suspects I dropped/bent a valve, broke a rocker or worse. If the damage is confined to the top end it shouldn’t be too bad. Problem he is having is the valve cover does not want to come off. There are 14 bolts and 3 coil packs, all removed and the cover won’t budge. Does anyone know for certain if the spark plugs have to be removed to get the cover off? He has not removed those and I can’t find a straight yes or no answer on the internet. He’s given up for today because he’s reaching the annoyed, wrench throwing destroy things phase. I was just trying to get some suggestions for him. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

[quote=”B2k1977″ post=133340]I was driving my car to work the other day and as I came to a stop at a traffic light I noticed a rough idle, loss of power and a flashing check engine light. I called a friend of mine who is a retired mechanic to look it over. He suspects I dropped/bent a valve, broke a rocker or worse. If the damage is confined to the top end it shouldn’t be too bad. Problem he is having is the valve cover does not want to come off. There are 14 bolts and 3 coil packs, all removed and the cover won’t budge. Does anyone know for certain if the spark plugs have to be removed to get the cover off? He has not removed those and I can’t find a straight yes or no answer on the internet. He’s given up for today because he’s reaching the annoyed, wrench throwing destroy things phase. I was just trying to get some suggestions for him. Thanks in advance.

Brian[/quote]

Before you tear down for for a bent/valve theory. It could be other things. A compression
        test would tell you if you have a bad valve. see if this link helps.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-idle-problems

none nonenone
        Participant

Better yet, a flashing check engine light is going to have stored codes. Get the codes read and it might very well help isolate an individual cylinder to diagnose.

Brian MericaBrian
          Participant

when my friend came to look at it he forgot to bring his scan tool, I had the car towed to his house and he read the codes all the cylinders on the right side misfired – which is worrying us both. You can hear broken things rattling around in there, it definitely needs to come apart. So he was just exploring…and can’t get the valve cover off.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
            Participant

Stymied by a valve cover? Are you sure you want your friend doing this job?

Brian MericaBrian
              Participant

[quote=”barneyb” post=133433]Stymied by a valve cover? Are you sure you want your friend doing this job?[/quote]

He’s more than qualified. I’ve seen this first hand. all 14 bolts removed, cover won’t budge it’s like it’s glued or cemented. my ford shop book says it uses a sealant…could this be preventing it from coming off?

Brian

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…