Menu

2007-12 Hyundai Santa Fe no start

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Common Problems/Pattern Failures 2007-12 Hyundai Santa Fe no start

• Creator
    Topic
    Dean ThackerDean Thacker
    Participant

These vehicles are known to have problems with a no start concern where the engine will crank but not start. It almost presents itself as a possible fuel pump issue, but is actually an electrical issue related to the factory immobilizer system. The system consists basically of a key which contains a programmed chip in the head of it, an antenna coil ring which goes around the ignition cylinder, and the “smartra” or immobilizer module. The way it works is you put your programmed key into the ignition and turn it to start the engine. The antenna coil quickly reads the chip in the key and sends a signal to the smartra, which tells the vehicle computer that the correct key is in the ignition and the vehicle can be allowed to start. When the vehicle exhibits the no start concern intermittently, it can occasionally be due to a faulty antenna coil, but is usually caused by a faulty smartra 99% of the time. There is actually a TSB released by Hyundai for this concern, where they recommend replacing the smartra with a newer part which also requires a new wiring pigtail be spliced onto the harness. To complete the repair, all keys that are going to be used with the vehicle need to be reprogrammed to work with the new smartra. I have encountered this concern most often in damp weather, and a stranded driver can sometimes get the vehicle started by taking the key out of the ignition, turning it over and placing it back in the ignition and trying to start it again.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jason WhiteJason White
      Participant

Does this condition not set a DTC?

William HawthorneWilliam Hawthorne
        Participant

I have this issue on a 2007 hyundai santa fe also. Cranks but will not start. Spark is good, fuel pump is good. no codes displayed. Injector pulses from signal wire light up at first maybe once but then nothing. I keep seeing that only the canadian manufactured hyundai santa fe’s have the immobilzer ring… but looking through mitchell1 repair i see there is a smartra system on the american hyundai santa fe’s.
          I swapped ecu’s and will try reprogramming the key or immobiliser to see that will fix the injectors not firing like they should.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…