Menu

2008 Chevy Silverado – Noise

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2008 Chevy Silverado – Noise

• Creator
    Topic
    Wyr TwisterWyr Twister
    Participant

This truck is the work truck I drive . It is company owned .

At about 125,000 miles , I was at the oil change place , getting the truck serviced . Asked the service writer about getting the transmission serviced .

Here , I made a mistake . I consider transmission service to consist of dropping the pan, changing the filter & pan gasket , replacing the pan & filling the transmission with clean fluid . The old cars had a drain plug on the torque converter . So you could drain it too . I think that is a thing of the past ?

Well , what they did was flush the transmission from the transmission dip stick . The old filter is still in there . And any cuttings may or may not still be in the pan .

I am considering taking the truck to a transmission shop and having the filter changed . What say yea ?

Now , to the noise .

Some time , after all this I started to hear a whine / roar . I did not remember hearing it before . Or it may have been present , but it became louder . To the point I started noticing it .

I started wondering , could this be due to the transmission flush and non-replacement of the filter ?

A few days ago , we were having a recall performed on my Wife’s car . I asked the service writer about this . He said transmission problems usually are a grinding / clattering noise . It is not .

He asked if the sound changed when I pressed down on the gas petal& then let up ? It gains volume as speed increases , but changing the throttle position does not change the sound , unless the truck changes speed . So he said that does not sound like a differential .

He asked if the sound changed when I steered the truck from side to side . No . He said it is probably not wheel bearings .

So , in my mind , that leaves tire noise . Which is entirely possible . The tires are not compleatly worn out , but are far from new .

Suggestions ? Advice ?

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks ,
      Wyr
      God bless

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        Wyr TwisterWyr Twister
        Participant

Thank you .

No noise at idle . Noise is not dependent on transmission gear change .

Do not remember hearing the noise in reverse . Probably not moving fast enough . The faster I go , the louder it gets .

God bless
          Wyr

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

The noise could be unrelated, I would check out the link that College man posted for you for more information on finding the source of the noise.

As for the transmission fluid change, it’s hard to say if not changing the filter had an adverse effect. Without seeing the condition of the fluid it’s hard to say. If the fluid wasn’t in bad shape, you should be fine. But if it was full of sediment, I’d want to change the filter. Thing is, at this point you’d have to start from scratch and drop the pan to do that.

More info on transmission issues here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-transmission-problems

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

JustinJustin
            Participant

If you decide to have the filter replaced save the money and do it yourself. You can have it done in around an hour and a half with a few beers on the ground for the average diy person.

Did you have the tires rotated? We have many customers with worn tires come back after a lof/rotate complaining about a noise. And usually it turns out after the rotate the tires start roaring. The GMT silverados are bad about the front caster/camber being out…..or we just have horrible drivers down here lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyr TwisterWyr Twister
              Participant

I have changed tranny filters in the past . I own a 91 Caprice I need to change the fluid and filter on it . Just have not gotten around to it .

Not sure about doing it on a company truck .

Is the camber and caster on a 2008 Silverado readily adjustable ? My understanding is some vehicles are just made that way and are suppose to be right . With no provision for ready adjustment ? I at least figure toe in should be adjustable ?

No , tires have not been rotated lately . Probably should be .

Thanks ,
                God bless
                Wyr

BrettBrett
                Participant

Common noises for what you describe on that truck;
                  Hub bearing
                  Lower planetary set in 6 speed trans
                  Transfer case bearing (if 4×4)
                  Rear differential bearing
                  Tire noise
                  I would get going to where the noise is fairly loud and throw the truck in neutral. If it’s the transmission planetary, that usually takes the load off of it and gets it to quiet down. Next, try doing gradual turns back and forth while it’s making noise and see if it varies. If it doesn’t change while doing all that, I would look more at rear end noise or tires.

Yes, the alignment is fully adjustable on that truck ie; caster, camber, toe

Wyr TwisterWyr Twister
                  Participant

Have done the back and forth to check for wheel bearing noise . No change .

Best I know , the tranny is 3 speed with over drive . Will do the neutral check / test .

Hub bearing ? Front wheel bearing ?

2WD , so no transfer case .

Tire noise is a real possibility .

Thank you , 🙂

God bless
                    Wyr

Wyr TwisterWyr Twister
                    Participant

I performed the transmission shit to N test . No change .

God bless
                      Wyr

Frank HeiserFrank Heiser
                      Participant

Might be no help but I had a whine like that on my old Ford and it was the oil pump in the trans starting to die. They might have boned your trans when they messed with it, not sure what they specifically did, but some of them back-flush the trans and loosen up a bunch of crud you don’t want loosened up! If it’s a company truck can’t you just make it their problem? Maybe they’ll give you a new one 🙂

I am a firm believer in the idea that it’s never a coincidence when a new problem crops up right after getting work done at a shop!

Gary BrownGary
                        Participant

The 4L60-E…the filter needs to be replaced and I would have advised against a flush.

The 4L60-E have Torrington bearings that can make this noise, also the planetary gearsets, both reactionary and forward.

It is possible that the filter has all the debris in it now from the flush and is starving the tranny for fluid hence making noise.

Grinding and chattering are only two of the many noises a failing tranny can make. Whining is another common complaint and is usually the Front Pump, bearing or planetary set.

The front pump usually makes noise with RPM, the more RPM the more it whines.
                          The planetaries usually make noise in gear and at speed. Keep in mind, a component will only make noise if it’s actually in use/moving. The reactionary planetary in the 4l60-E is used in first and reverse.
                          Torque converter will make noise in neutral with the brake pedal depressed and the stator can be tested in drive with a stall test.
                          You could also be having valve body issues, starvation in particular due to clogged filter.

I can only theorize, with limited information.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…