Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2009 Chrysler town and country just shuts off

2009 Chrysler town and country just shuts off

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2009 Chrysler town and country just shuts off

• Creator
    Topic
    Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
    Participant

So my wife’s van just engine shuts down by itself. All the electricity stays on nothing dims down. Checked the battery cables, cleaned them and tightened but still did it. Dealer did a diagnostic on it and couldn’t duplicate it but cleaned the fuel system and replaced the aux heater core hoses. Still does it and now it does it while driving when it just did it while in park. I have no idea where to check I even made sure the tank was full of fuel but still shuts down randomly. As you can tell I was thinking it might be the fuel pump but it doesn’t stutter before shutting down it just goes off. Oh yeah and it doesn’t shut down at high rpm or driving on the main streets just when stopped or going 10 and under mph. Any ideas?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Without knowing much more it could be the crank position sensor going out or a wiring issue. When vehicles lose the Crank position sensor info, the ECU usually will shut off the fuel pump…

Unfortunately, Generally with intermittant problems they have to be occurring to find them… the best way is with a scanner that records sensor/ECU data… that way when it happens the tech can see what went wrong..

Good luck

Karl

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
        Participant

Alright thank you Karl you just said the new toy I’ve wanted to buy in while and the wife just said yes to it thanks to you lol.

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
          Participant

Ok so I have my scanner hooked up. In park it shut off on me. St was -2 to -5 long term stayed constant at 14.8. Cat temp11 1130 ign adv 27 and oat 144. Map 29.2. Now what lol.

A toyotakarlIts me

With a basic scanner watch the rpms… the crank signal may be lost… on a higher end scanner you can watch the voltage and several other inputs at the same time… see if the rpm signal is lost prior to shutdown (this may be difficult to catch with an entry level scanner)

Also there may be an issue with the security system/key… may never spot that one…

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
              Participant

I have an advance scanner

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
                Participant

It didn’t lose it just everything spiked in numbers just a second before it shut down. For example the map sits at 9.2 and just before shut down it spikes to 29

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Sounds like you might have a voltage issue. Check your system voltage with the engine running. It shouldn’t be more than 15v. Everything on a fuel injected engine works on voltage. If it’s not correct, it can cause all kinds of issues. Also, check your battery to make sure that’s good as well. A bad battery can screw up an alternator. Also, check your ground connections. If you’ve had body work done lately, look for grounds bolted to fresh paint. The new paint can inhibit the ground connection. A little sanding and you’re back in business if that’s the case. Here’s some articles that might be useful.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-electrical-problems

Keep us posted on your findings.

BillBill
                    Participant

There was a recall on some Chrysler vehicles for ignition switches shutting themselves off. I’m not sure if yours is one of them but it sure wouldn’t hurt to ask the dealer.

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
                      Participant

Speaking of that we did and it’s for 2010 and up not 2009. Lol. I’ve even looked around and a lot of 2009’s have this shutting off problem. Most of them get a new fuel pump and then the problem returns a few months later. I’m going to put it on the scanner again tonight. It’s hard without a service Manuel since Chrysler doesn’t put much in their regular Manuel’s. Wish I could get a base line for this.

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
                        Participant

Long term moved to 8.6 now. It shut off on me once while it was at 14.1. Load out stayed between 29.4 to 30 but would hit up to 32 at some points. With heater on and radio it shot up to 42 putting in reverse with all on it went to 51. Don’t know if this is normal. It’s weird nothing really seems abnormal other than that the long term changed from 14.1 to 8.6.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…