Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2010 CRV Rear Strut Installation Help

2010 CRV Rear Strut Installation Help

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2010 CRV Rear Strut Installation Help

• Creator
    Topic
    AmitAmit
    Participant

Hi
      I am replacing my rear struts with MacPherson quick struts. I was able to remove the struts without much hassle. While installing, I cannot get the hole in the shock to line up with the holes in the lower trailing arm. I followed the procedure in the service manual for jacking up the lower trailing arm but no luck. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
      I already checked that the new quick struts match the old one.
      To make matters worse, I can’t install the old one. I am obviously doing something wrong, I just don’t know what.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

It appears your jacking up the trailing arm but the strut is fully extended.
        You need to either lower the arm or compress the strut so the mounting hole align.

AmitAmit
        Participant

That’s a good point you make. I don’t know how to compress the strut. I tried lowering the trailing arm, but I fear I may break the rear axle.

Participant

It’s a bit tougher than you think.
            You can also try fitting a bottle jack with a narrow piece of wood under the base of the strut and force it up till it aligns.

AmitAmit
            Participant

Thanks for the advice. The trailing arm is stronger than I anticipated. I got the struts mounted but I could only get one bolt in each trailing arm. I can get the other bolt started but after 20 or so turns, the bolts don’t go up any farther. I have attached a photo of both bolts. The threads on one bolt look stripped.
              I don’t have an impact wrench and I am using hand tools.

Participant

Yea those look a little rough.
                Might try running a die over the treads to clean them up.
                Getting the holes to align while under tension is a PITA.
                Just need to jiggle and wiggle to you get it to catch.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…