Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2010 Honda Insight brake fluid flush

2010 Honda Insight brake fluid flush

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2010 Honda Insight brake fluid flush

• Creator
    Topic
    PierrePierre
    Participant

Hi Guys,

My mom brought her 2010 Honda Insight to the dealer today for an oil change and they told her that her front brakes were worn out and that the passenger side caliper was sticking. They recommended a brake job in which they changed the front pads, resurfaced the rotors, and performed a brake fluid flush. I have a few questions about what they did:

1) Is it approved by Honda to resurface rotors?
      2) They did a B&G brake fluid exchange service even though I did mention to the service adviser to use only genuine Honda parts and fluids. Will the B&G fluid ruin the braking system on the car bc its not genuine Honda brake fluid?

Thanks for your input.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Matthew RossMatthew Ross
      Participant

1. Resurfacing rotors is an approved Honda service.
        2. While most fluids for Hondas should be genuine, brake fluid doesn’t need to be. As long as it was DOT3 or DOT 4. If it was power steering fluid, coolant, or transmission fluid, it would have to be Honda genuine.

BrianBrian
        Participant

I would make sure that the caliper guide pins were lubed with high temperature brake grease as well, they are often overlooked and can cause uneven brake wear and pulling to one side when the brake pedal is pushed.

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
          Participant

[quote=”peshewa” post=140977]I would make sure that the caliper guide pins were lubed with high temperature brake grease[/quote]
            Never use petroleum based grease on the caliper pins! It will cause the rubber boot to dissolve and make the pin sticky causing the caliper to seize.

Only use a non-petroleum lubricant (such as silicone paste) on the guide pins (and any other metal part that comes in contact with rubber).

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…