Menu

2011 CRV random no start issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2011 CRV random no start issue

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert J.Robert J.
    Participant

In June 2019, I was with my wife in downtown New Bern, North Carolina. I was parked on the street, facing the sun, in my 2011 CRV. I turned the key but my starter never engaged. My idiot lights came on but faded as I held the key. All power was lost as my radio now require a security code to activate. I was lucky and found a construction guy with jumper cables and a vehicle. We jump started the CRV. It cranked over one time and came to life. (historically, it starts very easily) I chalked it up to me possibly leaving the lights on. Once I got home I checked, cleaned, and tighten the battery terminals. I watched Eric the Car Guy’s videos to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I also went to two different Autozones and had them test the battery and charging system with both passing.

For the next several months, I drove each day and the car started without fail. So this reinforced my previous assumption downtown, me leaving the lights on.

At the beginning of October, the CRV sat for four days but started right up for Sunday church services, after services, the car wouldn’t start. It was the same experience as I had in downtown New Bern. But this time I was carrying a spare battery and jumper cables. It started right away when jumped. After arriving home, I used a multimeter across the battery terminals. At first it read 12.34 volts. When I got the starter to fail after seven tries, it was at 8.05 volts yet my radio lost all power and required the security code. (see attached photos : mutimeter visible at top of picture)
      2011 CRV no start 1 – ignition at on position 2011 CRV no start 2 – trying to start car

This failure to start happens maybe every couple of weeks but always starts when jumped.

Now the weird stuff. On occasion, I will shuttle my wife around to different stores, I don’t go in but sit in the car. I turn the motor off. After twenty minutes or so I turned the key to the on position to power the radio. I never tried to start the car. I had the radio on. As I went to change the station, the radio screen went blank. I lost all power. I tried to start the car but nothing. I pulled out the jumper cables and battery and the car fired up immediately.

Any ideas as to why this occurs? My wife doesn’t want to drive or be a passenger in the CRV and be stranded somewhere.

I have watched Eric the Car Guy’s video on swapping out the starter. I can do that but the starter always works one way another.

Bob

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I would first start with inspecting all powers and grounds for being clean, tight and secure.
        If that yields no joy.
        When this issue occurs again you should do a voltage drop test.
        Judging from how you describe the issue.
        I would be more incline to think your losing power due to a faulty connection, be that wiring, relay or ignition switch rather that any short to ground.

Robert J.Robert J.
        Participant

As the no start issue is random, it usually occurs while out at the store or in a parking lot, never at home or a place where I can jack it up and get to the battery lead on the starter for a voltage drop test. I have checked accessible connections, finding no bad connections or swollen / corroded wires. Before investing time and money in a new starter, I will replace the starter relay and see if that has any effect. It has been over three weeks now without a no start. The saga continues.

Robert J.Robert J.
          Participant

[quote=”rjsuva” post=203630]As the no start issue is random, it usually occurs while out at the store or in a parking lot, never at home or a place where I can jack it up and get to the battery lead on the starter for a voltage drop test. I have checked accessible connections, finding no bad connections or swollen / corroded wires. Before investing time and money in a new starter, I will replace the starter relay and see if that has any effect. It has been over three weeks now without a no start. The saga continues.[/quote]

UPDATE:

As the random no start issue wore on, both methods of battery testing (load and electronic) failed to show a bad battery at either AutoZone or Advance Auto. I was finally directed to an independent auto repair shop. Jimmy, the owner, placed my car on a $5,000 Snap-On auto electrical diagnostic test machine. He put the machine thru its functions and the results showed a defective battery. The battery was rated for 400 CCA but the machine tested the battery at 130 CCA ( see attached print-out ) I took the print-out back to AutoZone and without hesitation they replaced the battery. As the battery was within the warranty period, their was at no out-of-pocket cost to me.
            I have not had a repeat of the no start issue with the new battery. Thank you for those who offered up suggestions to resolve my no start.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…