Menu

2012 Dodge Journey 3.6

• Creator
    Topic
    Jim HutchingsJim Hutchings
    Participant

This dodge journey I am suddenly having over heating issues. Replaced water pump and thermostat. Checked for coolant leaks but could not see anything. Did not notice any coolant in the oil. I travel about 50 km and then i get the high temp binger going on off and the over flow reservoir is out of coolant. Add coolant then good to go for another 50 km. Not sure what i should look at next. Journey has 198 000 km on it. A year ago replaced the heater core and then did it again in January of 2020. Had a coolant filter on it to catch all the crap but recently took it of as i was thinking it was the problem. But it did not cure anything.

What would you guys/gals suggest to look at next.

Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jeffrey VoightJeffrey Voight
      Participant

First I would clean everything around anything coolant related. Add some dye and do a pressure test.this will determine if there is an external leaks. Then do a compression test to check for a bad head gasket. If you still haven’t found the problem, drive it for awhile and try and maneuver something up the air conditioning condensate drain and check for dye in the moisture you pull from the tube. If there is dye,
        The heater core is leaking.

Jim HutchingsJim Hutchings
        Participant

I did do a pressure test yesterday. It held the 15psi for 30 min and didn’t even move pressured up. Tried a new radiator resivor cap and still the same.
          What will a compression test show me?

Thanks

Jeffrey VoightJeffrey Voight
          Participant

Low compression test will indicate that there is a leak somewhere. If it’s low there’s a possibility that the head gasket is leaking coolant into the cylinders. This usually shows up on your pressure test also. The fact that you are continuously loosing coolant indicates you are leaking somewhere.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…