Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2012 Nissan Note 1.6 – tapping sound after warm-up

2012 Nissan Note 1.6 – tapping sound after warm-up

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2012 Nissan Note 1.6 – tapping sound after warm-up

• Creator
    Topic
    RadekRadek
    Participant

Hi all,

My lovely girl has got a little bit of tapping noise after warming up (it is not there when she is cold).

The engine is 1.6 petrol otherwise known as HR16DE.
      The car is from 2012 but only 35k on it, 3k since last oil change.
      Oil is a bit brown but looks healthy. Oil level hasn’t changed a bit. Coolant looks clear too.

There are no problems with power so far, no hesitation on acceleration of any kind. Sometimes she idles a little bit too slow when all electrics are off (around 570) but usually recovers herself to 650.

I think the tapping is more at the front of the engine (right side of the car where the chain is located) but I may be wrong.

I have recorded a video:

and also extracted the sound itself (there are three parts, raw sound, then with lowpass filter to remove some rubbish and then slowed down):

Not perfect because I was using only my phone and Audacity.

Do you have any ideas which component would be most likely generating that sound?

Btw, I think the “tap” happens more or less every 0.12s at 650 RPM at least that is what Audacity says.

Thank you!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Maybe non-problematic valve noise, maybe timing chain stretch and/or timing chain guide wear.

Tyler RauTyler Rau
        Participant

Sounds a little like an exhaust leak. you have some injector noise like most if not all MR/HR engines do. Only other thing would be get a scan tool on it and drop one cylinder at a time to see if it’s with one, none or all. I don’t like the that intake, hard to drop a cylinder yourself since it’s over the injector and the coil packs. When you snap the throttle will it change? go away or worse? on accel or even when the engine is slowing back down?

Tim RoweTim Rowe
          Participant

I had an old Sentra that did this. Turned out the timing chain tensioner was worn out, once the oil thinned out it started tapping(tensioner lost its tension as the plastic had been eaten up).

RadekRadek
            Participant

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

I have borrowed a stethoscope and done a little bit of poking around. The sound is almost completely not existent if I touch the engine block with the probe, it is most pronounced on the solid metal thing in the middle of the air intake (marked on the attachment).

I think it is some throttle control component. I have got no idea why it would generate such a regular sound when I’m not even touching the throttle pedal.

I’m a little bit less concerned now, I don’t have much experience with repairs but in case it fails it looks more approachable than the engine.

[url=https://ibb.co/dbWtES]

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…