Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2014 fusion 1.5 new timing belt whine/humming

2014 fusion 1.5 new timing belt whine/humming

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2014 fusion 1.5 new timing belt whine/humming

• Creator
    Topic
    Ryan PetrukovichRyan Petrukovich
    Participant

Just did a timing belt and water pump on a 14 Ford Fusion with 1.5 eco boost. Has 130k on it. Used continental belt kit with tensioner and replaced the water pump. Runs great but it’s making this whining noise. Should I be concerned or will this “wear in”? Google gives mixed responses I’m not sure what to do. This is TB was a pretty inconvenient job I really hope I don’t have to go back in.. it only does it at idle or when the engine is revved and comes back down to an idle.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant
        Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

JMHO…..
          That doesn’t sound like belt hum.
          That is usually consistent hum or buzz.
          As far as I can tell from the audio on the video, it sounds more like chatter due to a failing bearing somewhere.

Participant

Took serpentine belt off and it’s not that. No codes. Car runs fine. Noise is accurately displayed in the video but it’s not super loud. With the hood closed you probably wouldn’t hear it if I didn’t mention it. Only does it when it’s warm aswell. No noise when cold.

Participant

Well if you removed the main drive belt and all the accessories were not spinning.
              That leaves the timing belt or the tensioner.
              Could be the belt needs to seat in, though it shouldn’t take long for that.
              Might also be the belt is too tight or there might be an issue with the tensioner.
              Another possibility, the timing belt just may not be the correct fit your your vehicle.
              Not uncommon for after market parts not fitting as well as OEM parts

Participant

ive only ran it for about an hour and around the shop, enough to bleed the cooling system. the water pump on these is not driven off the timing belt but is partially behind it. so needed to be loosened to change it. water pump was bad on this car and figured id do TB at same time, so the TB is only on the crank, tensioner, and 2 cams.. i will drive it home tonight and see. if noise doesnt get better i guess i know what needs to be done :/

Participant

My Nissan is the same .. the water pump is located behind the timing belt.
                  Hopefully it is only a fitment issue.
                  Yep it does suck to have to dig all the way back in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…