Menu

2019 Civic Oil Change Question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2019 Civic Oil Change Question

• Creator
    Topic
    Aaron MAaron
    Participant

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about what you would recommend for a service interval on a 2019 Honda Civic 1.5 turbo for oil.

Mine has around 5,600 miles and the maintenance minder is reading at 60%. I went to the dealer to get the oil, filter and crush washer to change the oil myself and they recommended to follow the maintenance minder, especially for the first oil change since it’s better for break-in. The oil is a medium brown now, and it has me wondering if the dealer is right or if I should just change the oil myself anyway.

I used to have a 2001 Chevy Suburban with over 200k miles that had 5,000 mile oil change intervals and the engine was still in great condition. I’m afraid that because my Honda has less oil capacity and less frequent intervals that is longevity will suffer.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

If the vehicle is under warranty, suggest you follow the MFG recommendations on the matter to not void your warranty and keep the reciepts and records for proof.

Aaron MAaron
        Participant

Hi Richard,
          Thanks for your reply. That’s my thought too but the warranty card says as long as I have receipts proving I did maintenance, even if I did it myself the warranty will remain intact. I just want the car to last like the older Hondas have.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

even if I did it myself the warranty will remain intact.

This is true ONLY providing you follow the MFG listed recommendation.
            Warranties have be voided in many cases because service wasn’t done exactly as outline ( dealerships & car MFGs are EXTREMELY nit picky on this.)
            I completely understand your concerns ….
            But lets just say, you changed the oil at 5,600 miles and the maintenance minder is reading at 60%, and for some reason something goes wrong internally with the engine.
            The dealership or MFG can (and most likely will ) come back and say ” Well you didn’t follow recommended/proper break in procedure concerning the oil, therefore your warranty is void and any engine repair cost fall on you.
            This situation about not following MFG recommendations is more common than you would think,
            I’ve seen where a owner had voided his warranty on his engine just because he changed the air intake tube.
            Another where a woman had here Honda service only through the dealership, it went in for a timing belt service and right after she got it back it was running poorly.
            Went back to the dealership and had it checked out and as told she needed a new engine and that the warranty wouldn’t cover it because she was at the exact mileage of the warranty, even though it was serviced all its life from the dealership.
            So I can only suggest you proceed carefully in order to maintain your vehicle warranty.
            Of course after the warranty runs out, your free to service the car as you see fit.

Aaron MAaron
            Participant

I see, those are very good points. Thank you for the recommendation I didn’t think of it that way.

Mike FreezMike Freez
              Participant

Thanks for the advice. For example, I change the oil in the same interval. I try to use the best oil for 3.6 pentastar here’s the link https://davesoilchange.com/oil-for-3-6-pentastar/ high-quality oil, and filters, and the oil is mainly synthetic 5w-30, Pennzoil platinum, or Mobile 1. My car is not new and it is important for me that the oil is viscous and I have no leaks

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Mike FreezMike Freez.
              Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…