• Topic
  • 305 chevy high idle and transfer slot issues

305 chevy high idle and transfer slot issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge 305 chevy high idle and transfer slot issues

• Creator
    Topic
    Alaric RiceAlaric Rice
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m gonna try to make this quick. I have a third gen camaro with a 305 small block that I took off all the computers and emissions crap off of. Then I installed an hei distributor with vacuum advance (hooked to ported), then added a 750 vacuum secondary holley carb (with gaskets and adapter plate of course). The issue I’m having is if I expose the transition slots to show a square my engine rpms are at 1200 and it slames into gear. I end up having to close the primary blades so far that no transfer slot is showing, which is giving me a hesitation with the slightest of throttle movement. The secondaries are closed all the way and turned back in just a little so they don’t stick. And no, it’s not on the fast idle cam. The timing is recurved and set to 15 degrees initial and 35 total. Ive checked for vacuum leaks and didn’t find any. I’m wondering if maybe my 750 is too big? Any ideas?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Richard SweetingRichard Sweeting
      Participant

hey yes you have to big of carb put a 600/650 double pumper and i think youll be able to adjust . And not only be able to adjust you should have good throttle responce also . then put a vaccume gauge on the intake and find out what kind of numbers you have at idle and cruise to get the right power valve to put in that will give you a good start.I dont know what cam you have but 35 is a little high Ihope this helps you. Richard Sweeting

Alex MckenzieAlex Mckenzie
        Participant

Have you tried to check the air intake of your car? One of the common reasons why you’re experiencing high idle is is dirt build-up.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…