Menu

3800 series 2 mods ?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Engine Modifications 3800 series 2 mods ?

• Creator
    Topic
    Ted TansleyTed Tansley
    Participant

anyone have any good upgrade ideas for the 3800 engine? I would like to increase horsepower
      This is not the s/c engine

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Richard CookRichard Cook
      Participant

Yessir. I had a 3800 series 2 in my last baby. Strong Engine. Miss it everyday. I dipped into the pool and found a website exclusively for the 3800 enthusiast. All levels of upgrades to my knowledge. http://www.3800performance.com/ Hope it gives you some insight.

Steven CummingsSteven Cummings
        Participant

Rich is right. Two stores I’ll add as well for specialized parts are

http://www.zzperformance.com/

and

http://www.wbodystore.com/

I’ve used the wbodystore and the parts seem reasonable and less expensive than the others (often with less expensive or free shipping). The downside with them is that the parts take longer to ship than ZZperformance or 3800performance for what I’ve read on forums (but I can’t afford excess right now).

dandan

here is a long laundry list of what you can do too these engines, if its not the L-67 or L-32 you can do a top swap which takes the heads, fuel injectors and fuel rails, lower plenum and supercharger and all its accessories and bolts it right onto the block of your N/A L-36 L-26, but the N/A engines have a higher compression ratio which can give you a bit more power but…

WARNING, top swap at your own risk, the 4T-65E is not as heavy duty as the 4-T65EHD transmission and the connecting rods on the L-26 and L-36 are thinner and even though the L-26 connecting rods are powder forged they are not as robust as the beefy L-32 L-67 Connecting rods, at about 500HP they are known for finally giving out, if you want too do some serious power upgrades i suggest highly that you go with a L-32 or L-67 bottom end or build up the bottom end.

Intake
            cold air intake, short air intake, larger throttle bodies suck as a LS-1 throttle body and MAF sensor, for N/A engines they have Intake inserts too through ZZP, for a supercharged or turbo car put as big a cone filter and short and less bend a tube as you can for a intake, cold air intakes on supercharged engines are pointless because the roots blower heats up the air

Supercharger
            smaller pullies, intercoolers, GEN V M-90 swap, better coupler, or Twin screw superchargers buy whipple i think they also offer centrifugal superchargers too by procharger.

Turbo
            they make turbo kits for this car many sized turbos and exhaust manifold too fit the turbo, nessisary plumming for oil and coolant and intercooler and intake.

Combocharge
            for this you will need too run a duel stage fuel system so you would have for example the Gen 5 M-90 Blower or twin screw wipple, combined with a 70MM garett turbo! so you get that low end boost from the supercharger and when the turbo kicks in you get the high end boost being further boosted buy the supercharger meaning LOTS of boost, but with lots of boost means higher octane requirements.

fuel system
            larger fuel injectors, higher pressure fuel pumps, adjustable fuel regulators or high performance fuel regulators, these are a must have if you are increasing boost

ignition
            MSD 8MM super conductor “fat” plug wires are nice i have a set on my car right now, ACCEL or MSD super coils give you extra zap too the plugs, also they recommend certian plugs with extensive modification

Top end
            port and polished intake manifold plenums, port and polish the heads and shave a few thousandths off too up compression… or even aftermarket heads all ready too go!

Valvetrain
            for Camshafts you have something more Dosile like the GT cam which is good for N/A engines or they have more aggressive camshafts for more aggressive applications, they have Chrome molly push rods, aluminom ratio rockers, stiffer valve springs, and probably better roller lifters than stock.

Bottom end
            Ceramic coated pistons, heavy duty forged steel rods that are lighter and stronger than stock, different cranks, bearings, ect…

cooling
            5.5 inch water pump pulleys or even electric water pumps, 180 degree T stats so you can run more boost without knock, all aluminum after market radiators, aluminum coolant elbows.

Exhaust
            headers, downpypes which come with U bend delete free flow cat or no cat, 3 inch exhaust upgrade, cat back exhaust for 2 1/2 or 3 inch exhaust, you can go straight pipe or you can go for different assortments of resonators or mufflers…

Electrical and Misc
            there are some things you can get such as high performance PCMs which are a MUST when upping boost, you can get Boost gauges, oil pressure gauges, ignition moduels,

if you want too stay Naturally asperated your power gains are kind of limited, you can do a Cold air intake, you can do a port and polish of the upper and lower plenum and heads, shave a few thousandths off the heads but just a little bit! get some ratio rockers stiffer valves and a lighter GT cam, install headers and a downpype and a freeier flowing muffler and resonator, add some 8MM wires from MSD and maybe some igniton coils from ACCEL or MSD, for plugs just go with factory recommended AC Delcos, if you can get a PCM too do a little bit of a tune, and run L-67 OR L-32 fuel injectors, if its a series II engine then you can also install the larger L-67 throttle body, if its the series III your limited because of the electronic throttle body. there is also under drive alternator and water pump pullies and alternator pullies. you may see gains of 40-50HP more or less depending on how much money you want too throw at it if you want real power gains you will need forced induction!

so far all i have is a cold air intake, MSD 8MM super conductor wires, and a thrush turbo muffler

WARNING
            if you upgrade the engine too a extreme upgrade the transmission!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…