Menu

3M Silicon Paste

• Creator
    Topic
    HungHung
    Participant

Hello,

Eric had been recommended a great 3M Silicon Paste product for lubricating Slider Pin on the brake system
      Anyone / Eric has experience using Permantex Ultra Slick on slider pin as well ?

thanks

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

[quote=”TranTek5″ post=111573]Hello,

Eric had been recommended a great 3M Silicon Paste product for lubricating Slider Pin on the brake system
        Anyone / Eric has experience using Permantex Ultra Slick on slider pin as well ?

thanks[/quote]

I believe Eric only uses silicone paste not permatex.

Stephen BowenStephen Bowen
        Participant

NAPA carries the 3M Silicon Paste. Part Number: MMM 08946

Runs about $20 bucks for a can. Might have to be ordered in. (our local napa does not have it, but the one 20 miles up the road carries it.)

S-

Bryan CarterBryan Carter
          Participant

[quote=”TranTek5″ post=111573]Hello,

thanks[/quote]

Permatex Ultra Slick is a petroleum based engine assembly lube, it’s not made for lubricating brake parts.

Stephen BowenStephen Bowen
            Participant

That was the reason I posted the napa part number.

The paste is a better product to use on Brake slides. Napa (the local store) told me they could not get the paste, and hard sold me on the Sil-Glide. I’ve no complaints about how it works, just concerned it is based in part with petroleum products and silicone. Just means I’ll be watching the brakes closer then I would be if using the other brand.

Next time I deal with our local napa, I’ll walk in with their own part number. (the one a few miles north? Backwoods store, but better selection? Go Figure?)

S-

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
              Participant

You can get 8 oz of it on amazon for 19. Obviously you need to add shipping and handling but it usually isn’t that much now a days.

Mike scubacat3Mike
                Participant

I just decided to order my very own can (now plastic bottle) of silicon paste.

Question: Is it supposed to be thick, as in REALLY thick? It almost feels like glue that’s half dried out. It actually took a little force to pull the attached brush all the way out of the bottle.

twiggytwiggy
                  Participant

[quote=”miketheitguy” post=113473]I just decided to order my very own can (now plastic bottle) of silicon paste.

Question: Is it supposed to be thick, as in REALLY thick? It almost feels like glue that’s half dried out. It actually took a little force to pull the attached brush all the way out of the bottle.[/quote]

I ordered the same bottle as you not long ago and mine is also thick as you described. Also, I ordered a rebuilt caliper set for a Honda CRV and when I pulled the slide pins out they were already lubricated with a silicone paste that was as thick as the bottles we both have.

PaulPaul
                    Participant

[quote=”miketheitguy” post=113473]Question: Is it supposed to be thick, as in REALLY thick? It almost feels like glue that’s half dried out. It actually took a little force to pull the attached brush all the way out of the bottle.[/quote]

Sounds about right. It has a high viscosity – if you tip a bottle over, it won’t ooze out any time soon – like the tar pitch experiment.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

The silicone paste that I use is actually sold right here on this site on the tools page. Here’s a link.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/3m-08946-silicone-paste-8-oz/#oid=1002_1

This link is also in the description of every video where I use it.

I strongly recommend against using any petroleum based lubricant on slide pins for 2 reasons. It dries up and causes the pins to stick. Also, it degrades the rubber dust boots which can also cause the pins to seize.

Silicone paste is what I recommend, nothing else.

My NameisMy Nameis
                        Participant

I’m curious, is dielectric grease the same as silicone grease? I have a bunch of those little spark plug boot/electrical dielectric grease packets that autozone sells for $1.

Wondering if they can be used on slider pins as well as other areas that silicone is preferred?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                          Keymaster

[quote=”myfavecoupe_” post=113586]I’m curious, is dielectric grease the same as silicone grease? I have a bunch of those little spark plug boot/electrical dielectric grease packets that autozone sells for $1.

Wondering if they can be used on slider pins as well as other areas that silicone is preferred?[/quote]

Nope. Different stuff.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…