Menu

’91 F250 7.3 diesel

• Creator
    Topic
    mike boggessmike boggess
    Participant

Recently my truck has developed a sputtering symptom. When the truck first starts up it runs perfect, after the high speed idle kicks off it sputters and blows greyish smoke. Truck drives fin,smoke disappears. The truck has become hard to start as well, takes much longer to crank up Any ideas?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      GregGreg
      Participant

One or more bad glow plugs?

mike boggessmike boggess
        Participant

My mechanic has it now and that is what he suspects as well, would that make it turn over more often before it starts, could it be the glow plug regulator?

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
          Participant

When cold, after startup, drive it pretty hard to build boost. The boost builds heat, and if it starts running normal, then it is likely the glow plugs.

mike boggessmike boggess
            Participant

Thanks for your quick reply, we will start there. Will report back.

Nick WarnerNick Warner
              Participant

Is this a turbo motor? By my memory the 91 was an NA IDI engine. Had an 89 F350 with the same setup. The glow plugs get going bad and usually take out the glow plug relay. That relay is the same part type as the mag switch for the starter. Replace it when you do the glow plugs, and also get the new wiring harness with the valve cover gaskets. Running as many amps as glow plugs do coupled with putting the wiring harness under the vanve cover makes it worth your time for a relatively cheap part to replace all of it if you are going to open it up and dive in.

MikeMike
                Participant

I’m wondering about the grey smoke at idle. Might be an “overfueling at idle” condition, caused by a flakey injector and/or poor spray pattern.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…