Menu

91 Honda Accord

• Creator
    Topic
    RobertRobert
    Participant

I have an 91 honda accord and when its cold outside i have a problem with getting it crank. When i go to crank it it over but dont crank, then it start turn over faster and finally cranks. But it will cut back off. After a couple of tries it will stay crank only if i dont press the gas. It also runs bad after it cranks the rpm be under 1000 and it shakes really bad. After i let it run awhile its ok

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant
        RobertRobert
        Participant

i dont think its a battery problem because ive been having this problem for 2 years and its only when its cold. It also is burning more gas than usual

college mancollege man

when you do get the car to start.Try wiggling the key in
            the ignition back and forth.see if the engine stalls.if
            it does replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

RobertRobert
            Participant

tried that but didnt work it almost seems as the car isnt getting gas

hondaguy453hondaguy453
              Participant

So it’s a no crank, no start problem? Or is it a crank no start? It could still be the battery if it’s a no crank no start, because your cold cranking amps could be low due to a slowly fading battery. Not sure why it would do it for two years though lol. Check fuel pressure the next time it happens too.

RobertRobert
                Participant

i guess its a crank no start problem. The engine turns over fine it just starts of turning slow then after a while of holding the key it speeds up then it cranks. When it do crank da rpm be low and the engine shakes. If i was to press the gas pedal it will shut off unless i floor it bt even when i floor it while its in gear it dont want to go and it makes a loud noise. Also how do i do the fuel pressure test.

EdmanEdman
                  Participant

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                    Participant

How cold does it get where you live? I still say check your battery. Watch the vids and stuff that dreamer posted. You’d have to tap into the top of the fuel filter (where the banjo bolt is) and put the fuel pressure tester there. I think autozone and pep boys rents the testers out, but I don’t think they have the adapter for Honda’s.

RobertRobert
                      Participant

i stay in south carolina so it dont get to cold probably 30s being the coldest bt ill check the battery

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

You will consume more fuel when it’s cold outside.

As to your no start problem to me it sounds like it could be a battery or connection issue. However, you might also check the mechanical and ignition timing because some of what you describe could also be that. Make sure you follow the correct procedure for checking ignition timing as you need to disable the computer to check it properly.

Also note that Honda’s don’t like aftermarket parts, especially ignition parts. So if you have an aftermarket distributor or other ignition parts you might consider changing them out for OE parts and rechecking for your problem.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…